We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

good news doesn't last long does it aaarrrgghh!

And there I was feeling happy when a colleague at work phoned to tell me that 2 people have just been made redundant from my department!!!:eek:

The word is to start looking for another job - but where? and how long do I have?

SO there I was all happy with getting my protection taken off and now I might bl**dy need it!!!!!!!

I am off sick at the moment through stress with everything that has gone on with my hubby (lots more other than debt, put it this way if I wrote everything down and sent it to the bbc even they wouldn't believe it as true!!)

Sorry just needed the rant
😁

Comments

  • $17mma
    $17mma Posts: 2,623 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Sorry to hear about the possible redundancy bluezone, cant be easy facing that at all.

    I know it sounds easier said than done but try not to stress. Your health is the most important thing. So that has to come first.

    Is it possible that you can take out the PPI again.. now that you may possibly need it? and if you dont need it cancel it!
    MFWB
    Mortgage when started: £232,000
    Current mortgage Sept 2024: £232,000
    Mortgage free day: Sept 2029

    Saving: £12k 2025
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,238 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Get it from another source tho :) do a search on here I think I posted a thread with approved by some financial body or other suppliers etc :)

    It saved me £2200 over the length of my loan :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

    My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Don't panic!!!

    I was made redundant a few weeks ago and although it IS a shock, and you do grieve, it is OK - I'm still alive!!

    PPI often doesn;t pay out for ages anyway, so don;t rush into anything on that score.

    Try and be rational - are you likely to lose your job? Can you ask you boss? Will you get a payout (you will if you've been there more than two years. I didn;t get one and still I am ok so don;t worry)

    Have you got holiday pay owing for holidays you have accrued but not taken?

    Outstanding expenses? All of this can add up to a month's wages and more, and if they will probably let you leave early (during your notice) to look for work. Legally they have to allow you time off to look for jobs anyway.

    I think you should talk to your boss about your worries and get the lowdown on what's going on, and then work out a plan of action.

    PM me if you want.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • amosworks
    amosworks Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    :( **Hugs**
  • mom23
    mom23 Posts: 746 Forumite
    I know this doesn't help but BIG ((((HUGS))))) anyway xxx
  • forsya
    forsya Posts: 251 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Hi Bluezone

    Please don't panic, may have got you worried about your job etc. but they cannot make your redundant that quickly, if they do, and that is a big if, then you should go through a consultation process for a least 2 weeks, if not more. In the meantime, you could talk to your boss about you concerns, he/she may be able to put your mind at rest, as there is nothing worse than worrying for no reason.

    If it does happen, then it it could help, depending on how long you have been there, you may get a good redundancy package. Perhaps you could check out the redundancy, do they just pay statutory pay or do they offer 80% or something like that?

    This could then help pay towards your debts. You will also be allowed time for interviews during your consultation period, so can start looking for a job.

    I don't know what you do or who you work for, but if it is a decent company, then they should follow the right process. Even so, it can be a worrying time, and understand your concerns. Try and be strong and stay positive. It could be a good change and you could end up in a better job with more money!!

    My company has been taken over, so I know I have a job for the next 3 mths or so, so will be looking for a job soon too!! Just waiting for some redundancy money!!

    Let us know how things gp

    xx
    Became debt free in 2007 after having £15k of debt. Have been a stranger to MSE and now want to get back into my old MSE habits and save, save, save
  • sashacat
    sashacat Posts: 821 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    I don't think they can make you redundant while you are off sick...they certainly can't sack you when you are off sick...you need to check. Ask HR if you have one these questions..a)what criteria have they used for selection, and how are these fair b)how have they applied these criteria...because this has to be objective, eg last in, first out (this used to be used because it is objective and can be seen to be fair), and c) who have they consulted with ,because by law they have to consult with your representatives. Phone the citizens' advice bureau as they are really good on redundancy.....believe me, I lost a few cases at tribunal ( and I was the employer) because people went to the CAB...Good luck, and stay cheerful
    Wombling £457.41
  • bluezone
    bluezone Posts: 772 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Just eaten a box of maltesers which seemed to help - have changed my signature to show how much of the debt is actually in my own name thanks to hubby!
    I have spoken to the deputy at work and it seems we could be looking at more redundancies in approx 6 months so rather than stick my head in the sand like hubby and I did with the debt I am going to start looking around just in case! - So if anyone knows if there are any photography jobs going with a salary of approx 16,900 / year, give me a pm.
    The place I work for at the minute is a main University body so I can only hope the redunancy package is good!

    Cheers for the support you guys, it means alot to me
    😁
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.