BT Basic -Users to get benefit of 'free' 0845/0870 anytime soon?

Options
Jemma-T
Jemma-T Posts: 1,546 Forumite
I'm sure I read somewhere BT Basic users were to get this benefit soon? Anyone seen anything?

Would be a nice extra for the odd call.

Comments

• colin13
    colin13 Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Options
    Jemma-T wrote: »
    I'm sure I read somewhere BT Basic users were to get this benefit soon? Anyone seen anything?

I make my calss through AOL I pay BT basic as line rental,, how could i use this if it is true,,is there a code I could bypass AOL for making theses calls
  • del1001
    del1001 Posts: 229 Forumite
    edited 29 April 2009 at 10:48AM
    Options
    colin13 wrote: »
    I make my calss through AOL I pay BT basic as line rental,, how could i use this if it is true,,is there a code I could bypass AOL for making theses calls

Technically you're in breach of the T&C for BT Basic by doing that, and I'm really surprised that you are able to do so, as for the free 0870/0845 calls, I believe it would be part of your £4.50 quarterly allowance, at present only 01,02,03 numbers are included.

From BT website -
    Important conditions
    [FONT=New BT,New BT][FONT=New BT,New BT]Even if you’re getting one of the three benefits we listed on page 2, you may not be able to get BT Basic if you have any of the following:• A phone service provided by another company.• Calling Plans such as ‘Friends & Family,’ ‘Mobile Saver’ or ‘International Saver’ which cannot be used with BT Basic.• BT Pay&Call, our ‘pay as you go’ service, where you pay for your phone service as you use it.• More than one phone line – whether these are at the same or different addresses.• A phone line that doesn’t let you make calls (it only lets you receive them), or one that you only use for a burglar alarm (this does not apply to lifeline alarms or monitoring systems).• A business, temporary or payphone line.• An Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) – this is a phone network system that digitally transmits voice, text and images.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    I wouls doubt if BT would offer the discount to BT Basic customers, who are only there because the Regulator forced them to offer a replacement to the now defunct (to new customers) 'Supportline' tariff.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

How much does BT Basic cost?; -

"Normal UK phone calls include numbers that begin with "01", "02" or "03". They do not include calls to the Channel Islands, premium-rate numbers, calls to the Internet, calls to mobile phones, calls made through the operator, or calls to numbers that are not linked to a particular region (these begin with 0845 or 0870)."

Also if you go over you call allowance you will be hit with expensive call charges; -
    "If you go over your £4.50 call allowance, you'll pay 9.78p a minute (plus 2.93p for each phone call) for all normal UK calls and all other types of calls will be charged at standard BT calling package rates. If you don't use up all of your call allowance, you can't carry this over to the next three months." From the same link.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• colin13
    colin13 Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Options
    del1001 wrote: »
    Technically you're in breach of the T&C for BT Basic by doing that, and I'm really surprised that you are able to do so, as for the free 0870/0845 calls, I believe it would be part of your £4.50 quarterly allowance, at present only 01,02,03 numbers are included.

From BT website -
    Important conditions
    [FONT=New BT,New BT][FONT=New BT,New BT]Even if you’re getting one of the three benefits we listed on page 2, you may not be able to get BT Basic if you have any of the following:• A phone service provided by another company.• Calling Plans such as ‘Friends & Family,’ ‘Mobile Saver’ or ‘International Saver’ which cannot be used with BT Basic.• BT Pay&Call, our ‘pay as you go’ service, where you pay for your phone service as you use it.• More than one phone line – whether these are at the same or different addresses.• A phone line that doesn’t let you make calls (it only lets you receive them), or one that you only use for a burglar alarm (this does not apply to lifeline alarms or monitoring systems).• A business, temporary or payphone line.• An Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) – this is a phone network system that digitally transmits voice, text and images.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

me thinks me not right in what I am saying:) I pay £10.50 permonth line rental I thought that was BT basic:)

sorry about miss information:(
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    colin13 wrote: »
    me thinks me not right in what I am saying:) I pay £10.50 permonth line rental I thought that was BT basic:)

sorry about miss information:(

That will be Unlimited Weekend Plan then, price recently increased,(due to them including the 0845/0870 numbers in their plans), "£11.25 a month line rental with Direct Debit and paper-free billing, for new and existing residential customers making at least one chargeable call a month with BT."
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• ZenUK
    ZenUK Posts: 327 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

BT Basic users already receive this benefit since 1st April 2009

See BT FAQ on website
  • Jemma-T
    Jemma-T Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, it's mentioned here http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/php/enduser/cci/bt_adp.php?p_sid=&p_faqid=12732&cat_lvl1=345&cat_lvl2=350&p_cv=2.350&p_cats=345,350

...but slightly contradicted here www.btplc.com/inclusion/Needhelp/BTBasic/cost.htm

So, it would seem the £4.50 call allowance permits 0870/0845 and they'll be charged as normal minutes.

Sounds complicated for many people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport