Help With Primus/Voip - More added help please! :D

Options
Hello,

Having just purchased my first house im looking into sorting a phone line.
I Beleive the best option for me could be Primus option 2 and Call 1899's Voip service which I already use from my parents house. My question is.... Am I right in assuming that the only real difference for local and national calls with Primus is the lower connection charge? IE 0.04 as aposed to £0.055 with BT?

I've read Martins article and first assumed there was no connection charge as it was being compared to other tarrifs that charge a monthly fee, yet when I visit the Primus website I see;

"For all other calls there is a minimum call charge of £0.04"

The way i'd see it I'd have to be making an awfull lot of calls to see any real saving with £0.015 per call, is it really worth the effort or am I missing something.

Martin.

Comments

• ginger_nuts
    ginger_nuts Posts: 1,972 Forumite
    Options
    with primus option 2 ,Uk landline calls are free after 6pm and all weekend .
    Daytime calls are billed at 2p per minute .The minimum charge of 4p only applies if you make daytime, international or mobile calls . A 1 minute daytime (landline ) call would still cost 4p with primus .
    Edit as you are in Northern ireland (like me ) if you phone the Republic use BT .
    Primus charge international rate to ROI .For a call to be billed by BT dial 1280 .
  • utilitybroker
    utilitybroker Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    Options
    Only Landline Calls that you make outside your Primus Saver call plan will carry a 4p (inc. VAT) minimum call charge.
  • AceCobra
    AceCobra Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    Thats cleared things up for me, I still think its worded very poorly though!
    "A £0.07 minimum call charge is applied for calls to UK mobiles. For all other calls there is a minimum call charge of £0.04."

Thanks for the tip in ref to ROI, I'd use VOIP for that anyway. Infact I dont think there will be an occasion that i'd be using Primus outside their calling plan, in theory I shouldn't be charged then?! :D
  • AceCobra
    AceCobra Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    Bah,

Sorry to be a pain but i've another question!

I've now rang BT and setup an account etc under the lowest calling plan, when the line is setup i'll ring primus and get that sorted. My question is... the Lady at BT claims they have to charge me a minimum £22pm for at least 3 months, I can then change that ammount. If I dont use the credit (which of course I wont) It will be carried over to the next month. is this normal? and can this be carried over to pay for my line rental as aposed to calls as i'll never be using BT for calls.

Martin.
  • ginger_nuts
    ginger_nuts Posts: 1,972 Forumite
    Options
    I dont no about the £22 but if BT owe you money in 3 months time you can ask for it back . I would ask BT about whole bill direct debit .They may be trying to put you on there monthly payment plan which always costs more .
    If you pay your bill via whole bill DD it should cost you £11 per month .
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    AceCobra wrote:
    I've now rang BT and setup an account etc under the lowest calling plan, when the line is setup i'll ring primus and get that sorted. My question is... the Lady at BT claims they have to charge me a minimum £22pm for at least 3 months, I can then change that ammount. If I dont use the credit (which of course I wont) It will be carried over to the next month. is this normal? and can this be carried over to pay for my line rental as aposed to calls as i'll never be using BT for calls.

Martin.
    That sounds like a 'it's a new customer with no credit record we can check so we need to make sure' procedure.

£22 per month for 3 months = 6 months line rental. As soon as they'll allow it, get yourself onto 'monthly whole bill by DD' payments (as stated above, that'll be £11/month) and you're in business.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure