Another Loophole Identified?

Tojo_Ralph
Tojo_Ralph Posts: 8,373 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
edited 26 April 2009 at 9:16PM in Site feedback
Once again we see a banner headline claiming that the author of the article has identified a loophole in a given promotion and/or its terms an conditions.

This time the loophole relates to the Goldfish £30 shopping voucher promotion.

Goldfish offer £30 if the card owners monthly expenditure on goods exceeds £100 per month for the first three months.

And so to the loophole ..... to get the £30 it is suggested that card holders spend £100 per month on day to day spending.

GENIUS ..... ABSOLUTE GENIUS. :rolleyes:
The MSE Dictionary
Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.

Comments

• MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Dear me, this is a bit of a spurious note.

We use loophole to give the connatation that something isn't directly straightfowward - and isn't purely as designed (they dont want you to pay off in full, and just grab the voucher). The note was only in the right hand side intro box, where we have very limited space to get a message on and entice people to read more details.

Frankly picking tsuch things as this to pieces doesn't do anyone any good. We work hard to find ways for people to save money; and to entice people to be interested in doing so. In fact its one of the key tenets of the work done here that people who once hated anything financial now start to sit up and take note of whats out there, and how they can help themselves.

To be slated for it and trying to engage people does really frustrate us. We have enough people trying to harp on and cause problems without having to respond to things like this.

I know you're jus tmaking a point, and you're entitled to do so, but frankly when reading this it makes my heart sink and wonder why we bother.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    MSE_Martin wrote: »

wonder why we bother.

Martin

As I pointed out in a post earlier - people like me get to live a reasonable lifestyle on a shoestring budget.

If it weren't for your articles and the people who take the time and effort to post tips and help here then my income would not be working as hard as it is and my lifestyle would be pretty miserable.

Sou
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    I am not sure what you are trying to say, Tojo? That it's bad to encourage people to put day to day spends on a credit card? Because I believe the article does also say to pay it off in full.

I for one am grateful for Martin's site. In the last 3 months I have earned £140 from promotions/offers I have found from MSE. I also even won a competition I found here! Fabulous. Unfortunately I am not eligible for the goldfish one but for those who are... a free £30? I am sure they will say thanks too!!
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Kavanne wrote: »
    I am not sure what you are trying to say, Tojo? That it's bad to encourage people to put day to day spends on a credit card? Because I believe the article does also say to pay it off in full.

I think (and please correct me if I am wrong TR) Tojo is saying that it is not a loophole. It is an offer/ incentive, in the same vane as a buy one get one free on baked beans is an offer. They are very different things.

I don't think Tojo Ralph was criticising per se, just making a valid point.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Tojo_Ralph
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 April 2009 at 10:04PM
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    To be slated for it and trying to engage people does really frustrate us. We have enough people trying to harp on and cause problems without having to respond to things like this.
    I am not slating, I am simply objecting to a claim that fails to deliver.

Anyway, it's not the first time I have commented on loophole claims and I won't bother commenting again. :)
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
  • Tojo_Ralph
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 April 2009 at 9:51PM
    Kavanne wrote: »
    I am not sure what you are trying to say, Tojo?
    Then when it comes to the need for Martin to spell things out in the simplest terms ...... perhaps he has a very valid point. ;)
    The MSE Dictionary
  • Its like the asparagus arguement all over again?

;)
    Not Again
  • Martin and the team, I know it's easier said than done, and I need to take my own advice here, but don't take things like this to heart; 99.99% of people appreciate what you're doing. The rest are just amoebas/trolls. Mind you, the fact it's bothering you shows how much you care, which is only a good thing.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Martin and the team, I know it's easier said than done, and I need to take my own advice here, but don't take things like this to heart; 99.99% of people appreciate what you're doing. The rest are just amoebas/trolls. Mind you, the fact it's bothering you shows how much you care, which is only a good thing.

Can you clarify please Flickering Ember? Are you calling Tojo Ralph an amoeba/troll? :confused:
    Gone ... or have I?
  • hayley11
    hayley11 Posts: 7,625 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I sometimes wonder if people find things to pick at because they stand out and usually get a response. It seems such a petty thing to post about.

Martin and his team put so much work and effort into this site and they don't ask for a penny in return. Even if I didn't agree with something they said, I don't think I would complain because I am very grateful for all the help they have given me over the years and I would hate to seem ungrateful. And if they makes me sound like a total creep I don't care! :p
    :heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
    I :heart2: my doggies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family