We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Savings Accounts for Expatriates

Options

Comments

• gozomark
    gozomark Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Options
    lectureral wrote: »
    . Anyway I think it is a checklist thing - can you give a UK address? Yes. OK then.

I thought you had to prove residency at that address, not just give it a a contact address - eg utility bill. Happy to be proven wrong on that
  • Special_Saver2
    Special_Saver2 Posts: 1,410 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Savings Addict

There is also:
    i) Halifax International
    ii) Halifax UK offers these accounts to non-UK residents

SS2
  • gozomark
    gozomark Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Savings Addict

There is also:
    i) Halifax International
    ii) Halifax UK offers these accounts to non-UK residents

SS2

but this is offshore isn't it, so not covered by FSCS ?
  • Cook_County
    Cook_County Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As you are French resident & taxable why not move the money to Luxembourg or onshore to France?
  • lectureral
    lectureral Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    gozomark wrote: »
    I thought you had to prove residency at that address, not just give it a a contact address - eg utility bill. Happy to be proven wrong on that

Yes - if opening a new account - I was talking about maintaining existing accounts in my original post though (sorry that got a bit lost in my second post) - so it was just a case of giving my existing banks a change of address.
  • ahai1
    ahai1 Posts: 1,589 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Someone could suggest that they have an article on this. I don't know how to suggest it though.
  • Cook_County
    Cook_County Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lectureral wrote: »
    The worst that can happen, I think, is that you will be asked to close your account but as long as you respond to letters sent to the UK address (relative opens them and lets you know of anything unusual) then they are unlikely to find out.

Anyway I think it is a checklist thing - can you give a UK address? Yes. OK then.

They have no interest in the exact details of your resident status is my impression.

This is not correct, they need to know for EU Savings Tax withholding purposes and to report to HMRC.
  • withnell
    withnell Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    Options
    This is not correct, they need to know for EU Savings Tax withholding purposes and to report to HMRC.

That's only if you want it paid gross. If interest is paid net then the EU Savings Tax doesn't apply
  • ahai1
    ahai1 Posts: 1,589 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it legal to tell the bank you live somewhere you don't?
  • lectureral
    lectureral Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    ahai1 wrote: »
    Is it legal to tell the bank you live somewhere you don't?

I don't know - I have rather lost track of all the criminal offences on the books these days. I took a photo of a policeman the other day (he was in the background) - so that's another one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport