Can you have 2 current accounts with the same bank?

Options
I was thinking that to maybe try and control my money, each month i could pay a certain amount into a seperate account I have with the same bank, this amount would cover all my standard DD's and Std Orders, meaning that the money is already there and the payments will easily be made. This would then mean any money left in my main account is mine to use and prioritise paying additional funds off the highest debts. Does this seem like an easy thing to setup? I'm with Lloyds TSB so dont knwo how they are with regards to having more than 1 current account?

Thanks all
£4988 Lloyds TSB Mastercard
£400 O/D Lloyds TSB
£2650 Lloyds TSB Loan
£5070 Black Horse Finance

Skint, but I have a plan.... an MSE Plan!!!

Comments

• BruceyBonus
    BruceyBonus Posts: 1,142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lots of people have a set-up like this. You'll have to check for any minimum deposit requirements, but I can't see it being a problem as long as your main account has been managed well.
  • MUM40
    MUM40 Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    why dont you try and obtain a bank a/c at a different provider and try to obtain the 100.00 or so to move to them. You can then set up a standing order to transfer funds to your other account to pay your bills.
    This is what we do, and it has helped us.
    No. 83 in £365.00 in 365 days 17/365
    Jan lunch to work days 10/20
  • ShelfStacker_3
    ShelfStacker_3 Posts: 2,180 Forumite
    Options
    Lloyds let me have more than one current account. Shouldn't be an issue at all.
  • 5limJim
    5limJim Posts: 422 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2009 at 8:03PM
    Options
    MUM40 wrote: »
    why dont you try and obtain a bank a/c at a different provider and try to obtain the 100.00 or so to move to them. You can then set up a standing order to transfer funds to your other account to pay your bills.
    This is what we do, and it has helped us.

great idea, only thought it would be convenient with my current bank as any transactions i do could be instantaneous via online banking... I havent got the greatest credit rating in the world, but my Current is well maintained, think have only had 1 missed DD payment in 3 years, which isnt too bad i think... does anyone know if its the kind of thing that could be setup online, seeing am already an existing online banker...

PS:, looks like the Lloyds TSB Cash Account might serve my needs except i would have to go into a branch to sewt it up, seems a tad inconvenient as am an existing customer
    £400 O/D Lloyds TSB
    £2650 Lloyds TSB Loan

• Mark64uk
    Mark64uk Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello,

I was recently in the same situation and i to bank with Lloyds. What i did was log into my online account and clicked on "Curent Accounts" on the left hand side.

You then get this
    Why open another Current Account?

• Help organise your money
      • e.g. you could use it to pay your bills from
    • It's a Classic Account so comes with the following:
      • A debit card
      • Free everyday banking as long as you stay in credit
      • Access to your money 24/7
    • It's easy to apply
    Answer a few quick questions and within a few days i had a new debit card a new account show on my online banking and a cheque book in the post.

Mark
  • 5limJim
    5limJim Posts: 422 Forumite
    Options
    Mark64uk wrote: »
    Hello,

I was recently in the same situation and i to bank with Lloyds. What i did was log into my online account and clicked on "Curent Accounts" on the left hand side.

You then get this

Answer a few quick questions and within a few days i had a new debit card a new account show on my online banking and a cheque book in the post.

Mark

tried that and it said i needed to go in branch, crap!! will go in tomorrow to sort it
    £400 O/D Lloyds TSB
    £2650 Lloyds TSB Loan

• book12
    book12 Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    5limJim wrote: »
    great idea, only thought it would be convenient with my current bank as any transactions i do could be instantaneous via online banking... I havent got the greatest credit rating in the world, but my Current is well maintained, think have only had 1 missed DD payment in 3 years, which isnt too bad i think... does anyone know if its the kind of thing that could be setup online, seeing am already an existing online banker...

PS:, looks like the Lloyds TSB Cash Account might serve my needs except i would have to go into a branch to sewt it up, seems a tad inconvenient as am an existing customer

The Cash Account debit card could only be used at LTSB cash machines. It will be inconvinient for withdrawing cash with that account.
  • madtay
    madtay Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Yes you can.. i have 3 current accounts with them.
  • JoKay_2
    JoKay_2 Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    As you've been told already, you can have more than one current account with a bank. We've recently done this, transferring a set amount into the new account for our spending money - for the first time in I don't know how long, we've managed to clear some of the overdraft whilst keeping within the budgetted spending money - Woohoo!!:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure