We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Payplan Headache!!

We have been with Payplan a year now. Initially we thought they were OK. We have a charging order pending which my husband and I are dealing with without Payplan's advice/input. They never return telephone calls/emails/letters. When we first got a CCJ registered against us Payplan were not the least bit interested when we told them the CCJ stated the debt as higher than what we owed. They then failed to guide us through a variation order which my husband and I are sorting out ourselves (they didn't even tell us about a variation order we found out via this site). We have spoken to CAB and they are surprised that Payplan ave failed us in this way.
They were good at the start they sorted out a repayment schedule with all our creditos but since then nothing. Are we expecting too much or are Payplan this way inclined?
Be interested to read of other experiences.
«1

Comments

  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Sounds like you have been very unfortunate. Although I am in the very beginnings of seetting up a DMP my case officer has been more than helpful. I presume that you have a direct number to your case officer?? Do you have a email direct to your case officer?? Do you have a justabank account? Let me know your answers..
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • dollindebt
    dollindebt Posts: 71 Forumite
    I have also been with Payplan for a year and have found them to be excellent. That being said, lately I have had to leave several phone messages and emails before anyone got back to me. My case officer said they are busier than they have ever been. I'm sorry to hear you are having such problems with them.

    Just as a nosy aside, how did you end up with a charging order/variation order after you were accepted into a DMP? All my creditors have accepted my DMP although most of my creditors did sell the debts on to debt agencies. That kind of stuff strikes fear in my heart as I have a lot of equity in my house and was petrified they would go for a charging order. Did your creditor issue a CCJ in spite of your being in a DMP? I owe £36,000 now (most owed to HSBC), but everything ticking over nicely (for the next 7 years, I hope).
    Debt-free in May 2015 with the help of Payplan and MSE
    Lightbulb Moment: November 22, 2004 :idea:
  • dollindebt
    dollindebt Posts: 71 Forumite
    Pere Ubu,
    Just read through some of your old posts to find out the information on your situation, which answered my questions. :)
    Debt-free in May 2015 with the help of Payplan and MSE
    Lightbulb Moment: November 22, 2004 :idea:
  • Pere_Ubu
    Pere_Ubu Posts: 220 Forumite
    Dollindebt, the one company that hasn't accepted the DMP is the one going for a charging order. They got a CCJ which we are trying to vary. The amount they claim we owe is more than what we actually do.
    Anyway Payplan.... we email/phone/write to our case worker but to no avail.
    What my husband and I plan to do is to start paying off the smaller debts we have in one lump sum. e.g Next we owe about £300 and we have that much saved to pay them off. I don't think Payplan like you doing this sort of thing but we want to be more pro active in reducing our debt. My husband is able to do overtime some months so we want to use this to reduce teh debt and hence the repayment time (10 years). Any thoughts??
  • poppy52
    poppy52 Posts: 186 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    If you do this, Payplan will probably refuse to act for you any more - they insist on pro rata payments so that all creditors get treated equally. I've never had any problems with my case officer - I even had a reply from her today about something. Sometimes they are slow though - I think they are very overworked.
  • Pere_Ubu
    Pere_Ubu Posts: 220 Forumite
    Thanks for this. Is it best to give extra money to Payplan then so they can pro rata it to our creditors? Just want to reduce the debt as quick as possible.
    Just gone through paper work and have calculated that our debt to First National/Asset Link goes up by approx £60 per month!! What my husband and I propose to do is let Payplan pay what they pay each month and then we pay just this one creditor an extra £60 per month without payplan knowing in order to reduce the debt to them. The other way I guess if payplan won't allow this is to take the repayments schedules to all our creditors off payplan. Don't mean to sound ungrateful to payplan but my husband and I need to address this issue. Any advice greatly appreciated.
  • dollindebt
    dollindebt Posts: 71 Forumite
    That's really rotten of First National/Asset Link to do this to you. I would have thought no judge will grant a charging order to creditors, on debtors who are trying to make decent payments, especially through Payplan.

    I myself would be very hestitant to do anything which might jeopardise the arrangement with Payplan. Not sure what to suggest on this one, as regards to extra payments. I think you can actually get a card from Payplan, where you can pay in extra money at any Spar or other shop which accepts the card (cannot think of the name of the card at the moment). This way, you could possibly top-up your pro-rata payments without altering your standing order with Payplan. I wish I had a magic wand to get this sorted for you :)
    Debt-free in May 2015 with the help of Payplan and MSE
    Lightbulb Moment: November 22, 2004 :idea:
  • Pere_Ubu
    Pere_Ubu Posts: 220 Forumite
    actually got through to Payplan today!!! Explained the problems we have had trying to get through to them and then said we need to speak with someone urgently. The woman I spoke with promised someone would call us back today. Stayed in all day kept the phone line free and guess what. No return call!! Will be writing recorded delivery to Payplan tomorrow regarding the situation with Assett Link and the interest and what we plan to do. That way if Payplan get annoyed in the future with regards what we plan to do we can at least refer to the letter/phone calls/emails etc.
  • dollindebt
    dollindebt Posts: 71 Forumite
    dollindebt wrote:
    That's really rotten of First National/Asset Link to do this to you. I would have thought no judge will grant a charging order to creditors, on debtors who are trying to make decent payments, especially through Payplan.

    I myself would be very hestitant to do anything which might jeopardise the arrangement with Payplan. Not sure what to suggest on this one, as regards to extra payments. I think you can actually get a card from Payplan, where you can pay in extra money at any Spar or other shop which accepts the card (cannot think of the name of the card at the moment). This way, you could possibly top-up your pro-rata payments without altering your standing order with Payplan. I wish I had a magic wand to get this sorted for you :)

    The card is called a PayPoint card.
    Debt-free in May 2015 with the help of Payplan and MSE
    Lightbulb Moment: November 22, 2004 :idea:
  • Pere_Ubu
    Pere_Ubu Posts: 220 Forumite
    Dollindebt, Still nothing from Payplan so I have sent them a guaranteed letter today. It's OK for them to say pay extra to us and we will pro rata it out but in the mean time our debt to one creditor is increasing month by month. I have some compensation due to me soon and will use that to pay off one of our Asset Link debts. If Payplan get annoyed so be it my husband and I are interested in reducing the debt and if we stick with Payplan the debt will simply increase at a rate of approx £2 per day!!

    Thanks for the posts.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.