turning cupboard under stairs into loo?

Options
13»

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    Options
    We have the opposite problem; we ONLY have a downstairs loo (in a full bathroom) and nowhere to put one upstairs without extending from the main bedroom onto the kitchen roof (too costly and probably wouldn't get planning permission anyway).

Still we've had the house since 1976 so I think we might be used to it now. :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Mr_Warren_2
    Options
    In resume, any loo downstairs is a bonus, well ventilated, with/without windows etc. If you need ventilation you can install an extrator fan to the outisde wall. If you need water, you can use those plastic pipes that go everywhere (as in at home), if you have no access to an outside waste pipe, use a saniflow or similar (and only put human waste and paper in it). If you don't want or cannot go ahead with the project for any of the reasons mentioned in this post, turn the area into a powder room /cloakroom.
    My Great-Grandmother used to tell me "never be disturbed to go for No.1 or No.2 with an open door" ......:A
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    What I actually said was "They are usually dimly lit and poky with no window or fresh air ..." which is neither a sweeping statement nor a generalisation (both would be tautology). Thanks for repeating the word design, I didn't understand the first. :rolleyes:
    One of the dictionary definitions of the word usual is "such as ordinarily occurs" So what you were saying was that these conversions are; dimly lit, pokey, with no window etc. and that this "ordinarily occurs". That is most certainly a generalisation and also patently not true. But anyway, thanks for the English lesson.. Don't bother to reply, as I'm sure that we could go on in this vein indefinitely, which would be very boring for evryone else.
    By the way, I did not need the sarcasm icon.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    God you are a pedantic git who's easily wound up aren't you!:rolleyes:

Olias
  • andyrules
    andyrules Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    Options
    We converted or understair cupboard into a loo some time ago. We sited the loo on the straight side, just behind the door with the tiny basin on the far wall at the side of the loo. The door opens outards, not perfect but it works. The slopy bit just has a small cupboard containing bleach etc. It's a very tight squeeze and I prefer to go upstairs - but was invaluable when the kiddies were small and now again when elderly and infirm mum comes round. A vent and nice air freshner, plus years of threats about putting bleach down means it isn't unpleasant:D
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We've got an understairs loo and it's not actually a problem - even the blokes standing up to pee issue isn't - and my other half is 6 foot 7 so they don't come much taller!
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure