IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

ticket machines, no change

Options
Please help. I have received a ticket for being 12 minutes over the expiry time (kids film at cinema ended later than expected).

The tariff was £1.90 for 2 hours but I paid £2 (as the machine did not give change) so technically I have paid for extra time as they have not refunded me my change (theft)!
im not asking for the fine to be cancelled (as I don't think they will) but I want to be able to pay the "Discounted" fine over 3 weeks as we are officially suffering from financial hardship.

they said yes to paying in instalments but only on the full £50, not the discounted £25 but they did offer a further 7 days to pay the discount £25 in full. seems they can.
what are my chances of paying the £25 in instalments and why wont they answer on the fact that the machines wont give change? we are being conned out what little money we have get after tax's (if any).

the councils suck! we pay there wages yet they continue to screw us over.

no change at ticket machines, is it a con? 11 votes

yes
45%
taxiphildazzadeestinky_daddyoldone_2jondaro 5 votes
no
54%
photomepeter_the_pipercajefUnknownMeepsterNeil_B 6 votes
tariff should be to the nerest £1
0%

Comments

• Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Options
    no
    Well why did you pay £2 when it CLEARLY states the cost of parking for 2 hours is £1.90.

There is NO legal obligation for change to be given if when paying for goods or services, you do not have the correct change. The cost of the service was £1.90. You paid £2. Then you have now legally paid for the service of 2 hours parking. You have effectively given the extra 10p you paid as a gift. If you had only paid £1.80, then you would have only paid for 1 hour etc etc...

The only reason shops give change is to speed things up and give a better level of customer service...
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• Neil_B
    Neil_B Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Options
    no
    mwilletts wrote: »
    The only reason shops give change is to speed things up and give a better level of customer service...

Something quite foreign to or local Councils, LOL.

nah, i broadly agree with you 'M'.

the main reason they don't use the easily available technology to give change is that certain individuals quickly cotton-on and rig the refund slot for later collection!

that said, more use could be made of the easy to programme graduated time. i think mine work in 6 minute segments between min and max charge.
    -
  • Meepster
    Options
    no
    Neil_B wrote: »
    that said, more use could be made of the easy to programme graduated time. i think mine work in 6 minute segments between min and max charge.
    -

I agree, maybe the councils should use the "gift payments" users pay to them, to upgrade their ticket machines..

However, I'd imagine there would be less free wine at the councils' Christmas party if that was to happen... ;)
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• dazzadee
    dazzadee Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    yes
    mwilletts wrote: »
    Well why did you pay £2 when it CLEARLY states the cost of parking for 2 hours is £1.90.

There is NO legal obligation for change to be given if when paying for goods or services, you do not have the correct change. The cost of the service was £1.90. You paid £2. Then you have now legally paid for the service of 2 hours parking. You have effectively given the extra 10p you paid as a gift. If you had only paid £1.80, then you would have only paid for 1 hour etc etc...

I paid £2 because I only had a £2 coin, why don't they put the tariff up to £2 instead of £1.90 then? what happens to the extra 10p? just think of all the times people overpay by 10p because of the no change con, this extra money is not part of the tariff and it's not refunded so it's clear profit! it's theft.

mwilletts: "There is NO legal obligation for change to be given if when paying for goods or services"

are you actually telling me shop don't have to give change? would you allow that? NO! so why have they and if you owned a shop and you didn't have to give customers change, you wouldn't! that's profit your giving away? surly giving out change slows the process down?

seriously if it's try about shop's not having to give change, something is wrong.

the councils don't give a dam about customer service or us, as long as we keep them in pocket? am I right or wrong?
  • Meepster
    Options
    no
    dazzadee wrote: »
    I paid £2 because I only had a £2 coin,?

It is not the councils fault you only had a £2 coin is it? When I know I'm going to use a car park, I always make sure I have plenty of change with me.
    why don't they put the tariff up to £2 instead of £1.90 then?

That's like asking why shops set their prices at £something.99p. Would you be happy to pay the extra penny, on EVERYTHING, just so that they could make life easier? I'd certainly prefer to pay that little bit less, don't forget, if you look after the pennies, the pounds look after themselves...
    it's theft.

No it isn't theft, it must have clearly stated the price which would be charged, and also stated that no change would be given. YOU decided to pay them extra, not them.
    are you actually telling me shop don't have to give change?

Yup, thats what I'm telling you, if you dont believe me, speak to a lawyer.
    surly giving out change slows the process down?

It's a lot quicker giving out say, 25p as change, than it is for the customer to count out £4.75, hand it over to the cashier only for them to double check it.
    the councils don't give a dam about customer service or us, as long as we keep them in pocket? am I right or wrong?

No you're very wrong, they could set the charge for parking at £10 per hour if they wanted to rip us off, but they don't. They are a business, with costs to pay and need to offer an affordable service, whilst ensuring they make an income. I've recieved much better customer service from the council than I ever have from supermarkets and retail stores. When was the last time Tesco offered to take all your household waste away?

• Neil_B
    Options
    no
    why don't they put the tariff up to £2 instead of £1.90 then? what happens to the extra 10p?

What a ridiculous argument! just read it back to yourself - yeah make everything more expensive!

your extra 10p didn't actually cover your overstay anyway!!! even pro-rata.

have you noticed that whilst you feel strongly about the matter it's one of those 'i'm hard done by after the event' posts. if it had been important to you then you could have addressed the matter through appropriate channels ages ago. nope - only cos it is now resulting in a PCN. not at all see through.

if you were serious about challenging the PCN rather than starting a pointless crusading poll the you would have shown the PCN or even mentioned the crucial info of which Council.
    -
  • dazzadee
    Options
    yes
    i only asked a bloody question, just wanted some advise, yet all some people want to do is slag other people off.

please, if you have constructive critisium, great! but please dont reply if you just want to slag off my question...... cos thers no point!

i realy didn't know shop's didn't have to give change. that was the only usefull bit of info mwilletts gave, thanks!
  • dazzadee
    Options
    yes
    Neil_B wrote: »
    if you were serious about challenging the PCN rather than starting a pointless crusading poll the you would have shown the PCN or even mentioned the crucial info of which Council.
    -

i am fighting the council about this!
  • Neil_B
    Options
    no
    i am fighting the council about this!

No you are not. You are just pedalling backwards down a dead end street.

please don't tell me i am not constructive when you continue to fail to offer the crucial details.
    -
    this is an advice forum. My advice to you is that so far you are wasting your time. - but there may indeed be ways to get the PCN cancelled.
    -
    Thre are no Adjudications that support your current stance and probably plenty that say you are wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure