Staying at boyfriends

Options
Hello, could anyone clarify the rules around staying at someones house when your on benefits? Iv tried google, and some say its 3 nights, and others have said thats nonsence and aslong as you both have your own home its ok.

He has a house and i have my own flat, i stay at his alot of the time but i dont contribute to any of his bills and my money goes on paying my own, we are both disabled and get benefits. We have only been going out for 3 months so its a little soon to decide to move in together.

Thank you
J

Comments

• lowri99
    lowri99 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    if hes on income support hes not allowed to have you to stay overnight i know this as it happened to my freind his benifits will stop if hes reported
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This question gets asked time & time again.

The fact is there is not a set number of nights a partner is permitted stay over when one or both of them are receiving meanst tested benefits.

If 2 seperate homes are maintained & each paying their own bills at respective homes then this is generally taken as proof that they are not co-habitating. But that's not to say that the DWP won't investigate you & suspend benefits should they think you are in fact regularly spending a lot of time at a partners house.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure