IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Sold car nearly 12m ago but still listed as owner..

Options
Ive just received a parking ticket for my old car which I sold in May last year.

I part exchanged it at a local small garage where I purchased my new one and he took care of all the paperwork for both cars - or so I thought.

After waitin months for a new log book I phoned DVLA and they had not received any notification about my new car but I managed to sort that out.

When I took the old car in, I sent in the tax disc and claimed a refund on it as it was being sold. Completed the paperwork which the garage took from me.

Months later, I got a fine from DVLA (£60 I think) for not taxing the old car. I called and explained to no avail so paid the fine for that and presumed all was now sorted.

After again speaking the DVLA today, I am STILL registered as the owner of my old car for which I now have to chase around proving that it isn't mine.

Surely the garage is in some way responsible for this mess? What should I do next?

Comments

• Spyda_2
    Spyda_2 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    As a car owner it's your responsibility to inform the DVLA when you sell it, (including who you've sold it to) or that you've scrapped it, (including where it's been scrapped).

Do you have any receipts/paperwork showing that they took the old car as a part exchange?

If so ask the DVLA if that would be enough to change the ownership to the garage, thus passing the problem over to the garage?

Alternatively, you could ask for a replacement V5, (log book). As you're the registered keeper of the vehicle, there should be no problem gettin one. Then fill in the garage's details and send it off.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    You should have completed the seller section of the V5 and sent it off yourself. Never trust anyone else.

I agree with Spyda, try doing as he suggests and hopefully sort this out.

Before your car ends up being used in a bank raid and them thinking your the getaway driver. :eek: ..... only joking. :p
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • simpywimpy
    simpywimpy Posts: 2,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 April 2009 at 1:50PM
    Options
    i wonder what the fine I got was for then? Im sure it was because I hadnt informed them it was sold but that was months ago. I didnt realise there was something for me to send off because the garage owner didnt give me anything. In fact, he didnt even register my new car either!

When I paid the fine for not informing them of the change, why didnt they change the details with dvla? Seems a bit silly really...
  • flutterbyuk25
    flutterbyuk25 Posts: 7,009 Forumite
    Options
    simpywimpy wrote: »
    i wonder what the fine I got was for then? Im sure it was because I hadnt informed them it was sold but that was months ago. I didnt realise there was something for me to send off because the garage owner didnt give me anything. In fact, he didnt even register my new car either!

When I paid the fine for not informing them of the change, why didnt they change the details with dvla? Seems a bit silly really...

The fine you got from DVLA would have been due to the fact that the tax expired, you were still keeper so had fine when tax not renewed.

What you need to do now is:

- Write a letter to DVLA. State car reg mark, make/model, your name/address, date of sale, name/address of dealer sold to and the fact that you've received this parking fine for the car, and want your details removed as keeper. Make sure you sign this letter.
    - Also include copy of sale/receipt etc if you have one.
    - Send this to Being Contacted, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1ZA (preferably by registered/recorded mail so you have proof)
    -Write to parking fine issuer to explain that you have sold it and are awaiting confirmation from DVLA.
    - DVLA will send you a letter back within 2-4weeks stating words to effect of "Mr simpywimpy sold veh x on x date"
    - Send copy of this letter (keep original) to fine issuer if they request it.

HTH

flutterby (ex-DVLA employee)

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts