We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Had a post lightbulb moment and a dawning realisation that...

2»

Comments

  • starlite_2
    starlite_2 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    hooray for you donnalove...know what you mean, it annoys me when I'm paying for something and they 'invite' me to open a card with them, liek its gret deal or something...
    Membre Of Teh Misspleing Culb
  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    When it your dent free day likely to be?

    Hiya, that depends on if Barclays stump up my cash for my overcharges. If they do, next month I will only have 2 small debts left, ie I should be well free by my birthday in July :)
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • alyth
    alyth Posts: 2,671 Forumite
    I hada trust deed which finished in December (which I think is like an IVA) and was paying £200 a month to that for 3 years. What I now do is pay that money into an ISA, and in September, I'm going to go and work with pandas in China for 2 weeks! Whilst I struggled at times with the trust deed, what it's instilled in me now is "tightness" - I am so scared of spending money - every time I go to perhaps buy a treat for myself, I can't - I remember the time when I couldn't afford to perhaps buy a present for someone because the money was needed for my trust deed, and I'm becoming worse in that after finding this site, I ask myself whether I really need anything - right down to an extra can of pepsi at work - that's an extra 50p that could go into pandafund! I will never ever go into debt again, and there's a kind of perverse pleasure in trying to save as much as you can - whilst I still "treat" myself at times, that's from amazon or ebay money, and it's usually something exciting as a pair of trousers from ebay for the panda trip!

    It pains me to think how much money I squandered over the years, and it scares me when I see people I work with coming back at lunchtime with bags of stuff, and knowing that it's been bought on credit and it has to be paid for somehow.

    my tip would be to still put away the money, or at least some of it, that was going towards debt - fine for me to say, but I've been there, my debt was £35K based on 6 years of the high life in London, then moved to rural Scotland where my income dropped by more than half, my lightbulb moment came after my trust deed finished and I thought I had the extra money, but realised I'd become used to living on a certain amount of money, and that money hadn't been mine for 3 years, and I'd survived without it, so what on earth was I going to do with it now I had it - more clothes, sold them all of ebay, and managed perfectly well without Hobbs suits, designer makeup and the latest LV handbag, which to my shame I queued up outside the shop to get the latest model - although it was sold on ebay for more than I paid for it!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.