school transport and moving to new area

Options
not sure if anyone can help, basically we lost out home and currently residing at my parents home and are in the process of getting a new home from the council, my son attends a special needs school, if we move to a new area (it is a bit further away about 5 mins further drive according to aa) should the council still provide his school transport? the house is in the same council borough as the school but there may be another special needs school a bit nearer, would they make him change school for the sake of simpler transport arrangements?

thanks
jen

Comments

• festering_plates
    Options
    I would think the school would arrange for the bus company to pick your son up from the new address.
  • JG1984
    JG1984 Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    im really hoping so he loves his school and is progressing really well so would rather wait for another house if it meant he had to change school, do you know ,should we speak to the transport dept or the council or school to check on what would happen?

thankyou
  • festering_plates
    Options
    I would speak to the school. In special schools they have situations like this all the time, eg children moving foster homes. The school would would arrange tranport with the bus what go's closest to you house to pick your son up. He might have diffent driver and coach attendent but I should think he'll know some children on the bus because special schools are very small.
  • sheeps68
    sheeps68 Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If the current school is named on his statement they have to continue unless there is a amendment made to his statement.
  • longhotbath
    longhotbath Posts: 708 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with sheep68, your son would continue at the current school if that is named his statement. If you are staying within the same LEA, and only moving a short distance, I cannot see it being a problem. If you are concerned, ring your school transport coordinator at the council and checj with them.
    The school itself has no say over the transport arrangements, its the responsibility of the LEA.

Best wishes, LHB
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    aside from the fact that your son loves his school is there something in particular that the current school offers that the new one wont?

A friend of mine moved in the North Lanarkshire area about 2 miles down the road from her old house and as a result her child was almost forced to move from Redburn School to Glencryan School even though they are practically next door to each other. After a long battle it was established that the child would not get some form of learning support at Glancryan that was available in Redburn so they couldn't move him.

Not sure how this would apply outside of Scotland though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure