Dixons Duty Free

Options
Hey,

I have a laptop I bought (that is broken) from Dixons "tax-free" at Gatwick last week... I've got a replacement waiting for me at Heathrow when I fly out to the USA next week.

I was wondering what the situation would be if I returned the broken one locally, so I didn't have to lug it back to the airport, and instead bought the one at Heathrow as a new transaction.

Would I have to declare it on return to the UK, or is the tax actually paid already as it was on my EU flight last week??

Cheers,
Henry

Comments

• arealhighlander
    Options
    Don't know about returning it locally, but be aware, you may be able to buy the laptop duty free for leaving the country, but you are only allowed to take back into the country goods to the value of £145.

Meaning, you may buy it duty free and take it out of the country, but if you take it back in, you can be made to pay tax and import duty on it. Unless you can prove that you bought and paid tax on the laptop in the UK. People have been caught out with this before.
  • jetboy
    jetboy Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was told by several of the dixons tax free shops that any return should be completed in the high street.
    Timmay!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport