We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Tax on gifts before 7 yr period

Options

Comments

• sloughflint
    sloughflint Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Options
    Surely I am allowed, as his sibling, to give him a lump sum from the estate of our mother without incurring the 7 year business?
    Only via a deed of variation.
  • dontknowwhatimdoing
    Options
    I meant to ask John Pierpoint - your message about expectation and integrity - I think I know what you are saying but any chance of spelling it out for me?
    (My daughter wears a T-shirt with a slogan on it - 'natural blond, please speak slowly')
    I love it because she is very clever! I just want to know I have caught your drift!!
    XX:o
  • dontknowwhatimdoing
    Options
    O hello! How do I do the Deed then? Does it involve solicitors or can I do it myself? And does it take long? All I want to do is shove some money into his bank account. X (After probate I mean)
  • sloughflint
    sloughflint Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Options
    O hello! How do I do the Deed then? Does it involve solicitors or can I do it myself? And does it take long? All I want to do is shove some money into his bank account. X (After probate I mean)

You wouldn't be able to do it yourself. Very quick to sort though.
    Some info here:
    They allow the beneficiaries of a deceased's estate to re-write the distribution of the estate so that it passes to the 'right' beneficiary and/or in the most Inheritance Tax efficient way. This can be done in the two years after the date of death.
    http://www.martineau-johnson.co.uk/publication_event/guides/deedofvariationguide.pdf

http://deedofvariation.org.uk/Content/default.asp
  • dontknowwhatimdoing
    Options
    Out of interest then - and this is not intended to be anything other than a simple question because I am not a crook - after I inherit everything, who would know the difference between me spending £15,000 on a car or putting same into a different bank account?
    I must be dim because I find it a crazy situation that I am not free to do as I see fit at the time of actual inheritance.
  • dontknowwhatimdoing
    Options
    Thank you. I do understand, I just think it so unfair. Sorry if I am a being a pain.
    X
  • Eyesparky
    Eyesparky Posts: 689 Forumite
    Options
    I must be dim because I find it a crazy situation that I am not free to do as I see fit at the time of actual inheritance.

You can give any amount of money away you want but the tax will treat it as a Potentially Exempt Transfer i.e. one which will be exempt from IHT after 7 years. Common sense would likely agree with you but our tax system can be a bit of an overcomplicated pedant :).
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." — Confucius
  • jiggy2
    jiggy2 Posts: 470 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Out of interest then - and this is not intended to be anything other than a simple question because I am not a crook - after I inherit everything, who would know the difference between me spending £15,000 on a car or putting same into a different bank account?

to answer your question no one will know - under self assessment it is the responsibility of the person completing the forms to ensure he/she completes it to the best of his/her knowledge.

Anyways if you wanted to give say £12,000 away and have not made any potentially exempt transfers this tax year or last (6th April to 5th April)-then you could give £6,000 (using £3000 annual exemption for 2009/10 and 2008/09 b/f). And your husband could give £6,000 (again using his annual exemptions). You can gift as much as you want to your husband exempt from IHT. You wouldn't be breaking any tax laws doing that.
  • dontknowwhatimdoing
    Options
    Thank you for this - I had not remembered roll overs etc.. So really I could go ahead and not feel like a criminal!
    And perhaps if I can manage to hang on for 7 years, everything will be okay!!!
    I married a Bank Manager - should have found myself a solicitor/taxman instead:p
    XX
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I ask Local Hero as question? 3yrs ago I gifted the house I was living in to my daughter the value was £299000, I then moved into another house. When my husband died many years ago we were hard up and he had nothing to leave. The house I now own is worth about £300000. Can you tell me what the IHT liability would be if I popped my clogs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport