Working 10hours Can I claim any benefits?

Options
Hi,

I am no longer workin in my full time employment and have never claimed benefits before.

Since the 20 March I have been working 10 hours a week bringing home about £90 a week. My rent is £480 a month. I have no children or partner. Would I be able to claim anything.. I thought no because I already have a job.

Thank you
:D

Comments

• GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    you may be able to claim local housing allowance and council tax benefits. You may not get the full amount paid for you but you should get something.

You should also ask your local doctor or pharmacy (someone will have one) for an HC1 form which is the NHS scheme for people who don't earn much and need help with the cost of prescriptions, dental work etc. Again you may not get full help but you'll probably get something.
  • LinB
    LinB Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you :D
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    Options
    You can claim JSA but you wont actually get any extra money. It can seem pretty pointless.
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    ESA wrote: »
    You can claim JSA but you wont actually get any extra money. It can seem pretty pointless.
    Though it might be worth it if she is not claiming CB for a child because it will pay her NICs.
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    Options
    Though it might be worth it if she is not claiming CB for a child because it will pay her NICs.
    That is true of course.

Sadly in my experience people see it as too much bother because they are required to look for f/t work and the NIC isnt enough to persuade them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure