Berger paint

Options
Has anybody used Berger brand emulsion paint? My friend has seen certain colours of this brand reduced in Fads & wants to buy some.

As she wants me to help paint her walls I'd like to know if it has good coverage!
The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.

Comments

• weekendwarrior
    Options
    I tried it years ago and it was very thin and did not cover too well!

With paint I never cut corners and always buy Dulux as it does what it says on the tin. The one coat emulsion is great and saves loads of work!

I would never use the one coat gloss though as it is rubbish, always an undercoat and liquid gloss for a great finish!
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Never Ever buy paint from a DIY outlet. Go to a TRADE warehouse or supplier !

Trade paints can often be cheaper ( In this day and age everybody loves a cash deal ) and nearly allways have superior cover qualities .

shammy
  • safesound
    safesound Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Options
    I've been looking at paint recently and went to all the usual suspects B&Q, Focus etc then I thought I'd give some trade places a go, Selco, a local place that was recomended by a painter friend, a builders merchant, but they all seemed too expensive to me. On the off chance I happened past a Wickes (owned by Focus), now I've never gone into one because I always thought it'd just be the same as focus only more expensive but decided as I'd compared prices everywhere else to go and see what they could do me 10L of emulsion for.
    Well blow me down with a feather if they didnt totally undercut everyone I'd seen previously. £13.50 for 10L, the cheapest I'd found at a trade supplier was £19 for 5!
    Okay so granted I was looking for a specific colour (well a specific colour group anyway) so I was probably being way too picky but still...
    With regards to the Dulux; we tried it for a feature wall (also in same room), and honestly, I found the coverage to be complete rubbish, nowhere near as good as the Wickes "trade" emulsion.
    Anyway, thats my two pennies worth.

sharon
    :A:A:A:A:A:A
  • andrewmoorcroft
    Options
    With paint I never cut corners and always buy Dulux as it does what it says on the tin.
    If you use dulux then you've been ripped off because it's crap. Are you sure that you haven't used Ronseal because that does exactly what it says on the tin!
    If you want good emulsion with good coverage then try Jonstones. If you want to paint fewer coats then use their high opacity obliterating emulsion. If one coat doesn't do it you can recoat minutes later. If you want a silk finish then do one coat matt, one coat silk other wise you'll need 3 silk because it is very transparent.
    Cash ISA rate 6.5% fixed for 2 years. Mortgage rate 0.75% = 5.75% profit on £75K = £4500 per year:j
    Mortgages make money. Definitely don't wanabee mortgage free!
  • coolagarry
    coolagarry Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    'Which' magazine gave the following as 'Best Buys' emulsion paint.

B & Q Colour everywhere,
    Dulux,
    Homebase Duracoat and
    Wickes Master
    I'm Glad to be here... At my age I'm glad to be anywhere!!
    I'm not losing my hair... I'm getting more head!!
  • andrewmoorcroft
    Options
    coolagarry wrote:
    'Which' magazine gave the following as 'Best Buys' emulsion paint.

B & Q Colour everywhere,
    Dulux,
    Homebase Duracoat and
    Wickes Master
    unfortunately 'which' is a consumer magazine not trade!
    'Which' often rate on specification and features v's cost and don't consider useability and long term use. It would be interesting to see who they used to test them, how they tested them and what non DIY store paints they also tested. Perhaps you can paste the report on here?
    I once saw a which artical on washing machines where they decided that the hotpoint was better than a miele! They never tested them for 25years to find that the hotpoint would have failed 1/4 way through the test!
    Cash ISA rate 6.5% fixed for 2 years. Mortgage rate 0.75% = 5.75% profit on £75K = £4500 per year:j
  • coolagarry
    coolagarry Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This was the write-up on the tests and how they were carried out.

"Paints on Test
    We used all the paints on test to paint large areas with rollers and brushes, checking how easy the paints were to apply, and how smooth the finish was. We then stained and scrubbed the painted surfaces to find out how well they'd stand up to long-term use. Finally, we spent hours over a sink, washing the rollers and brushes to see how hard it is to clean them.

Cover story
    A litre of good paint should cover 11 or 12 square metres of wall. Some managed 13m2. But you'd need to buy a lot more of some of the environmentally- friendly paints. Some struggled to cover more than nine square metres.

Homebase Duracoat's blue paint covered 12m2 - 1m2 more than the packaging stated. But paint won't always live up to what it says on the tin. Farrow & Ball's blue paint, and the yellow paints from Crown Breatheasy, Wickes Master, and the Homebase standard range all covered 4m2 less per litre than they claimed.

A good hiding
    We tried to cover a black stripe with one coat of each paint. This wasn't a problem for most of the dark blues. However, some of the yellows, including the B&Q Colours and Focus Basics paints and the environmentally-friendly Aquamarijn and Biofa Primasol, couldn't generally cover the dark background. Consider using an undercoat first when painting walls a lighter colour.

Finishing touch
    Most of the paints we tested produced a good finish and didn't show the overlap between areas painted with brushes and rollers (wet edges). We found few surface defects such as bubbles and foaming. And only Farrow & Ball's yellow paint and Leyland's blue struggled to give a smooth, even surface.

Poor marks
    We applied pencil, coffee, red wine, tomato sauce and lipstick to the painted surfaces, and tried to clean them. We managed to remove most stains on only seven of the 50 paints on test (those rated or ). Choose one of these if you're concerned about staining - in a dining room, for example. The cheap Fads Supervalue and the environmentally-friendly Nutshell were the least stain resistant paints on test.

Staying power
    A good paint shouldn't come away when you wipe up a splash or spill. To test this, we wiped the painted surfaces repeatedly with an abrasive pad and a mild solution of washing-up liquid. Fads Supervalue, Focus Basics, Auro and Nutshell withstood hardly any wiping."

Unfortunately the results and points given are on a coloured chart on a pdf file. As only members can access the results with a password I don't know how to show that.
    I'm Glad to be here... At my age I'm glad to be anywhere!!
    I'm not losing my hair... I'm getting more head!!
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks to all who posted on this thread.

Personally I only ever buy Dulux paint, which has always given me excellent results. I buy mine from a local diy store which offers the lowest prices I've seen. :money:
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • andrewmoorcroft
    Options
    so what was the result when they tested jonstones or latex high opacity oblitorating emulsion? i can't see it mentioned!
  • totalguitar
    totalguitar Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    cattie wrote:
    Thanks to all who posted on this thread.

Personally I only ever buy Dulux paint, which has always given me excellent results. I buy mine from a local diy store which offers the lowest prices I've seen. :money:

Dulux...never again. Major problems as mentioned in previous threads.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure