mint card cashback cancelled..

Options
Hi all,

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but I took out a zero percent mint card for some purchases and flights etc, which promised cashback for everything spent on it. All good and well, but then the interest free period ended and I tarted to another card, but when i tried to collect the cashback from mint, they told me they were sorry but they had cancelled the cashback scheme from last month! I know I was only owed about fifty quid or so, but surely this is false advertising or something, they can't tempt people to take up their product with the offer of cashback then say 'nah, we've decided not to do that now'..... can they?
I wrote to them telling them what I thought of this underhanded practise, but got a reply that might as well have just said 'TOUGH'!
I have canceled the card now, but would there have been any recourse in this case, or am I just being a tightfisted whinger?

Jason

Comments

• Bokken_2
    Bokken_2 Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    I am not aware of this card someone else will be though and they maybe able to assist you more.
    I would check the terms and conditions throughly first,boring but necessary as often there is a clause where cashback is not paid because of i.e."going over your limit,failing clear the account in full" so this may clarify your circumstances.
    Once you know you are still intitled to £xx then I would phone them again outlining the problem politely to a supervisor and when you don't get anywhere get their details and tell them you are referring this matter to the Financial Ombusman.
    In my experience they come around then to your way of thinking.
    Of course they may not and you will have to be prepared to take it further.
    good luck.
  • cactusmelba
    cactusmelba Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    thanks, i might well do that.... the funny thing is, on the next two statements i got, there was still a section outlining cashback details! weirdos!

i'll let y'all know if i get anywhere...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure