We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Great “Easy Lucrative Garden Crops” Hunt: What costly foods can you grow with ease?

Comments

• gb57
    gb57 Posts: 83 Forumite
    Others have said these, but worth repeating. Grow what you will eat. If you have limited space use pots.

Herbs - easy to grow, keep close to kitchen so easy to pop out to cut and use.

I have never been successful growing from seed (too impatient), however, I CAN grow Rocket. Plant a few seeds in a pot (about now) keep watered and they will start to grow very quickly. Plant a few more seeds in same pot every couple of weeks throughout summer. Cut leaves to use as the plant starts to grow - they get tough as they get "old". They will start to self-seed, too. I have also done lambs lettuce from seed, in pots, the last couple of years. A packet of rocket seeds or lambs lettuce seeds seem to last me about 2 or 3 years, but I am not feeding a family of greedy kids!

Basil - I just can't grow from seed, so each spring I buy a pot plant from local supermarket. Nip out some bushy tops, put in small glass of water until roots grow (surprisingly quickly). Plant in pots. Hey presto - a whole summer's worth of basil plants. You can keep repeating the trick if the plant is getting a bit sad.

I do these in pots on patio to keep those 'orrible little slugs at bay.

I love fresh home-grown tomatoes, but they DO need a lot of watering, and we always go away in September, which is when they ripen, plus they are at their cheapest in the shops then.
  • drudete
    drudete Posts: 5 Forumite
    I also live in a flat with no garden and limited space, and have grown cucumbers & peppers (now in their second year and starting to flower new peppers), as well as salad & herbs. Plus trying to grow carrots in a small bucket!

Also growing hanging basket tomatoes as last year the plants took over my living room and had to freecycle them!

motto is to give it a go

Wendy
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    well I vote for basil very easy to grow, just sprinkle seed over top of pot of compost and water from bottom of pot. You will get about 20 plants.

Also buy the live salad or herbs in supermarkets when they are reduced and pot on they grow for ages and can be cut and will regrow.

Also chillis are good value and really easy to grow, my plants had 40 or more chillis, expensive to buy.

Horse radish is easy if you want to ake horseradish sauce

Also cut and come again salad can be sprinkled on soil and will make lots of salad.

I always look out for cheap seeds at the end of the growing season they last for ages. I got a lot of basil for 10p at Qd and it lasts till 2010 costs 99p at homebase.

The seed swap is a good idea who else is up for it?
  • Definitely blueberries - really expensive in the supermarkets, plus all of those food miles. And they look really pretty too, lovely foliage.
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sweet swop has been discussed on this site time and time again for safety reasons it's not allowed.

There have been a few people on this site who have sent people nasty PMs and spam.

If you wish to seed swap then go to one of these sites -
    1. http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/seed-swap/
    2. http://seedypeople.co.uk/default.aspx
    or find a local one like this - http://www.seedysunday.org/
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • mandylew
    mandylew Posts: 16 Forumite
    to grow coriander like you buy in the shops you need to sow it thickly a bit like growing cress, however with a pack of 150 seeds costing ave £1.99 its not economical to grow it this way. if you plant out/thin etc like the packets tell you you will get a good crop of seed but not leaf. . However at the asian supermarket (or even teso in the ethnic foods section) you can get a huge bag of coriander seed for 43p you can afford to sow a pot thickly every few days which will be ready to cut in about 4 weeks.
  • olly300 wrote: »
    Sweet swop has been discussed on this site time and time again for safety reasons it's not allowed.

There have been a few people on this site who have sent people nasty PMs and spam.

If you wish to seed swap then go to one of these sites -
    1. http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/seed-swap/
    2. http://seedypeople.co.uk/default.aspx
    or find a local one like this - http://www.seedysunday.org/

:rolleyes: It's such a pity that the minority have to ruin it for the rest of us!
    Debt @ LBM 29/12/08 - £49044! Now £44684.
    Fat loss 29/85lbs // £100 into £10k £243.07/£10k
    HSBC Loan 9658 // HSBC CC 3484 // HSBC CC 1464 // DP's 779 // Car 0% 4851 // Halifax OD 1348 // HSBC OD 1.5k // HSBC OD 1k // Barclays OD 400 // IOMOM 4400 // S Loan 15k // Cap1 £800
  • If you've got a bit of space try some sprouting broccoli. I've got 4 plants and have had loads of meals from them and it's very expensive in the supermarket. You can also eat the leaves as greens. Otherwise salad leaves and raspberries would be my top choices.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    And with the cost of seed packets, there are savings to be made further down the line by drying and saving your own seed. If it's not a F1 Hybrid variety, they should reproduce true to type. Squashes (butternut, pumkin, etc) are notorious for not reproducing identical plants from saved seed. Beans are easily dried and stored in a glass jar. Tomato seed can be dried out on kitchen tissue paper until all the slimy bits have disappeared. If the seed clings to the tissue paper don't worry. Save them in this state and sow them as the tissue paper will just disintegrate in the damp compost. Chillis and pepper seeds will dry out on kitchen tissue too. . Be careful to label, especially pepper & chilli seeds as they look identical. Store in a cool dark place and most of these seeds will keep for several years.
  • I am going to attempt to grow shiitake mushrooms. I have ordered yesterday a growing board and spawn from plantmenow.co.uk, and if successful I will progress to having my own logs (will produce for 5 years). Still need to find out about the right log though.... anyone growing them out there?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure