Do banks have to accept change?

Options
13»

Comments

• skookumuk
    Options
    The Coinage Act 1971 is a very real act and it does state that bronze coins are legal tender up to 20p.

However, 1p 2p 5p and 10p coins are not technically covered by the restrictions of section 2.1A of the act since they are now made from copper-plated steel (1p 2p) and nickel plated steel (5p 10p), and are therefore not bronze, cupro-nickel or silver (as defined by section 2.1A).

That being the case, the act as I read it means that any 1p or 2p coin minted from 1992 is legal tender up to any amount as are 5p and 10p coins minted from January 2012.
  • anamenottaken
    Options
    I guess you were looking for a thread on this topic as you have found one from April 2009.

Of course "Legal tender" isn't really relevant to the original question about paying cash over the counter at a bank.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Comyface wrote: »
    It's 5 bags at a time, unless it's going into a charity or a child's account.

That's now changed at the Halifax. You can pay in as many bags as you want now.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • hermante
    hermante Posts: 575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Even before they had the coin counting machines, HSBC always accepted random unbagged coins (I only tried up to about 100 coins and helped the cashier to sort them out anyway).
  • flutterby_lil
    Options
    I know this is old, but my natwest has a coin counting machine that you throw all your change into, it counts it and credits to your account. Simples.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    I know this is old, but my natwest has a coin counting machine that you throw all your change into, it counts it and credits to your account. Simples.

Now that is a good idea.

Wish my bank would get one. It would save me the 7% at Sainsburys. :T
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Zorz_2
    Zorz_2 Posts: 324 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    "There is no such thing as the Coinage Act. It is legal tender, it belongs to the Queen."

Well, there we have it. All our money belongs to the Queen. I never knew.

Well, it does have her portrait plastered on top, doesn't it? You should have seen it coming...:p
    You wanna hear about my new obsession?
    I'm riding high upon a deep recession...
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just because a Newbie decides to dig up a 3 year old thread - doesn't mean more experienced posters should be replying to posts from people who were last on the site in 2009? ;)
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • samwsmith1
    Options
    HSBC do the same in some branches, there's a list on here somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure