🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Please help, signed a contract for photo experience but need to cancel

Options

Comments

• robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    how would this work if everything has been dealt with over the phone, by text and by email..... no t's & c's have been received.
    but the original call was back in May
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • Dimples2609
    Options
    My teenage step-daughter, who is profoundly deaf (need to explain she can hear through hearing aids & is good communicator) has just been coerced into signing a credit agreement for £800 for a CD from Double-Take Studios. Same scam, kept waiting for an hour, then shown the photos, then when price is too high, given non-cancellable credit agreement. When she said she wanted to speak to her Mum before signing she was told she could do so, but of course she is deaf and cannot use the phone to communicate. She said she wanted to take it away but they said it had to be signed on the day (of course it does, otherwise if the agreement is taken away it must then become a cancellable agreement). This clause in the law is ridiculous giving scammers like Double-Take an easy passage through the hard sell. In this case though, am I right in saying they are on dodgy ground since they applied such pressure on her?
  • robnye
    Options
    My teenage step-daughter, who is profoundly deaf (need to explain she can hear through hearing aids & is good communicator) has just been coerced into signing a credit agreement for £800 for a CD from Double-Take Studios. Same scam, kept waiting for an hour, then shown the photos, then when price is too high, given non-cancellable credit agreement. When she said she wanted to speak to her Mum before signing she was told she could do so, but of course she is deaf and cannot use the phone to communicate. She said she wanted to take it away but they said it had to be signed on the day (of course it does, otherwise if the agreement is taken away it must then become a cancellable agreement). This clause in the law is ridiculous giving scammers like Double-Take an easy passage through the hard sell. In this case though, am I right in saying they are on dodgy ground since they applied such pressure on her?

it sounds like it, i can only suggest that you contact your local trading standards office for advice
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DottyJane wrote: »
    ...ended signing up for a £600 finance package (paying £60 deposit).
    This seems like your strongest route to getting out of it. Get the paperwork out, what did you sign, with whom, what sort of finance/credit was it?

There are some rights to cancel under the Consumer Credit Act .... so that's your straw to clutch. Although they specifically say it can't be cancelled if you signed at their shop.

http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/free_legal_information/consumer_law/consumf4.html
  • robnye
    Options
    a lot of high street stores will still allow 14 days to cancel, even if you did sign in store...... or at least i thought they did....mmmmm :confused:
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options

Define teenage ?

If under 14 it is illegal to give her credit. If between 14 and 18 she needed a adult to act as guarantor
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • robnye
    Options
    Optimist wrote: »
    Define teenage ?

If under 14 it is illegal to give her credit. If between 14 and 18 she needed a adult to act as guarantor

nice one - id forgotton about that
  • Dimples2609
    Options
    Eighteen, sorry yes I realise that would make a difference. The paperwork as far as I can see is legal, if not morally bankrupt. We tried to contact TS, which redirects to Consumer Direct. they were sympathetic & will pass comments on to TS. Advised action is to contact the Credit Company, in this case lloyds Banking Group - Black Horse, to see if the agreement has been activitated, and request it is not. Simultaneously write to Double-Take Studios requesting cancellation. Of course my Step-Daughter can't phone them as she is deaf, and they are unlikely to discuss with us as it will contravene DPA. I wonder how these poeple can sleep at night.
  • fishingcinema
    Options
    wow check out there t&c s if this is the right company

http://www.doubletake-london.co.uk/tandc.html

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]B[/FONT])[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NO SHOW CHARGES[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](i) [/FONT]If for any reason you fail to attend your appointment, a no show charge of £125 will apply for each appointment. This charge will be applied to the card used for the original booking fee.*

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]iii)[/FONT]
    Appointments can be changed free of charge within 7 days of receiving confirmation of your initial booking.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](iv)[/FONT]After 7 days of receiving confirmation of your booking, changes are subject to a £10 per appointment administration fee
    (v)If your appointment is within the next 7 days, changes are subject to a £125 per appointment administration fee*.

lots of imo high fees and charges
    i would not use them even if i were offered a free shoot
    one of there photo shoot packages were £3999
    crazy
  • Dimples2609
    Options
    My Step-daughter has now written to Double-Take Studios requesting cancellation on the basis that she was pressured into signing on the day. We spoke to Black Horse who gave us the n&a to write to complain at Black Horse so they aware this is going on, she has done that also and we have copied everything to TS. We'll see what the response is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport