08453 510 124 - Is this a halifax scam number?

Options
13»

Comments

• pyrokindle
    Options
    I recieved a call from the disputed number 0845 351 0124 yesterday, twice to my mobile and once to my land line
    After googling the number and finding lots of statements of it being false i phoned the halifax on its long standing number of 08457 20 30 40. i spoke to an eployee told him i keep getting calls and asked if it was a halifax number, he confirmed it was genuine after going through all the secrrity with him he then forwarded me to this automated message. after i then spoke with someone else i was asked to confirm if some recent transactions were genuine or not, there was about 7 transactions that were not made by me which because were out of my normal spending pattern were declined, at which point a breathed a sigh of relief, he then proceeded to cancel my card and a new one has been issued. even though i know this is a genuine number i would still NEVER proceed with it, always hang up and phone your branch as soon as possible, it could save you lots of money, it saved me about £1000.

IF you recieve a call from this number PHONE your branch as soon as possible, if you don't comfirm that these pending transactions are fraudulent they might be accepted and your money will be gone.

IT's YOUR MONEY PHONE YOUR LOCAL BRANCH ....
  • caramae
    Options
    thing is, if these calls are genuine, how did they get my numbers!? have never given them out and i'm ex-directory. puzzling, will be visiting my branch tomorrow...........
  • jambosans
    jambosans Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    Options
    caramae wrote: »
    thing is, if these calls are genuine, how did they get my numbers!? have never given them out and i'm ex-directory. puzzling, will be visiting my branch tomorrow...........

You will have provided your telephone number to Halifax at some point. They don't simply look you up in the Yellow Pages to perform a security check, that would kind of defeat the purpose.

Check your Online Banking, that will tell you what number's Halifax hold.
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
  • benfilan
    benfilan Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    Hey guys, just to confirm: This number is REAL! Spent 20 minutes on the phone with the Halifax going through loads of security just to confirm I'd tried to buy a bus ticket last night online and it had been flagged for some reason :laugh: Glad it wasn't something more serious!

If you're still hesitant, ring Halifax to confirm or ring the fraud line which someone posted above. You'' have to spend a fair bit of time on the phone so don't ring from a mobile:o
  • greaper0902
    Options
    Hi All,

Got 2 calls from 08453 510124 one after the other, one on landline, one to mobile. Automated message using my full name (not even my mother uses my full name)
    Rang Halifax on 08457 203040 (Don't think this is the number the automated voice read out but when in doubt, use a number you found yourself) went through all the security questions and turns out someone tried to use my money to top up their phone! GGRRRRR! :mad:

Credit to Halifax for spotting the odd payment and sorting out the new card but why does their genuine automated message sound so dodgey? Are they trying to panic people into ringing them to get it sorted?
  • pferguson2212
    Options
    This is a genuine number from Halifax/Bank of Scotland.

I tried to add credits to my step-sons XBox account through the XBox dashboard and the payment was refused. Reason being that because the XBox account was registered in another country it was actively blocked.

No need to worry and only after confirming details that pertain only to me was it taken further.

The call lasted no more than 5 minutes and all was good.

Thanks to all for all your help.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wouldn't it help if they warned people in advance what number that would use to undertake fraud checks? I'm sure some banks do, (Co-op if I remember rightly)
  • MoneySaverLog
    MoneySaverLog Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    NEVER trust a inbound call asking for your security details, you cannot be sure they are who they say they are. Best get their name and department and hang up. Call the bank back on a number you know is genuine, and ask to speak to them.

If the call is genuine, the adviser will understand your concerns about security.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure