PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What is a cluster house?

Options
hello

I'm looking to rent a flat for the first time and theres a lot of jargon to learn, I've got the idea of most things but I was wondering is a cluster house a house that's been split up into a few flats or is it something with shared kitchens and toilets?

Comments

• Marsh_Samphire
    Options
    I think it's a group of houses built in a square block (as opposed to a terrace of four houses). Historically built as homes for (textile) workers and now often as starter homes.
    Marsh Samphire
  • Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    Put "Cluster House" into Google and you get over 2,000,000 helpful links.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,710 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As Marsh Samphire says it is a block of houses usually 4 x 1 bed, but there are also 3 x 2 bed and even 6 x 1 bed. Many were built in 1980s/90s, but I think trend now is for 1/2 bed apartments rather than houses as starter homes.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • solidsponge
    Options
    Thanks for the info, so they are effectively there own house just built in a different way.

Obviously I used google but the top two links dont mention much, two sentances? And one is unreliable yahoo answers.

The other 1.99million seem to be cluster houses for rent..
  • solidsponge
    Options

Real useful these are:

#
    Remax House cluster room closure
    The Remax House Cluster will be permanently closed from the 6pm Thursday 5th June. Alternative Clusters can be found at ...
    - 21k - Cached - Similar pages
    #
    Pest Help UK - Fly|Control|Flies|Cluster Flies|Rid|Fruit|Beer Fly
    4 Forte Fog P generators will disinfest an average size loft, roof space or room, killing and getting rid of cluster flies, house flies and all other flying ...
    - 83k - Cached - Similar pages
    #
    Bug Off Pest Control are experts in commercial pest control and ...
    Cluster Flies/House Flies/Attic Flies. Location: Numerous locations, but usually in lofts and roof spaces. South-facing walls often favoured. ...
    - 7k - Cached - Similar pages
    #
    University-allocated cluster flats
    St Teresa House and St Thomas Court are cluster flat developments close to the university which are owned and managed by Unite plc. ...
    - 8k - Cached - Similar pages
    #
    Cambridge technology cluster hits paydirt -Archive - Venture ...
    The Library House report, ‘Flight to Quality’ – produced in association with Grant Thornton – shows that Cambridge innovation companies as a cluster have ...
    - 31k - Cached - Similar pages
    #
    House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 23 Nov 2006 (pt 0018)
    However, we plan to phase out what we understand to be ‘dumb’ cluster munitions. These house numerous sub-munitions with an explosive content. ...
    - 38k - Cached - Similar pages
    #
    Lisburn Wedding Cluster: House of Elliott Flowers
    House Of Elliott Flowers was established 12 years ago by Karen McDowell and George Elliott. Both had worked in Londonfor many years and decided Ireland was ...
    ww.lisburn4weddings.co.uk/print.asp?dirid=19 - 6k - Cached - Similar pages
    # [PDF]
    hpc flyer final 3.qxp
    File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
    our in-house cluster and tune your code before your cluster is deployed. N. Software. Choose between Viglen Rocks Linux or Microsoft ...
    ww.viglen.co.uk/viglen/Products_Services/hpc/HPCflyer.pdf - Similar pages
    #
    Property For Sale Sell your House, Flat, Villa for Free - EA ...
    Sell your house, flat, apartment for free with in2town property website. ... E-mail Print. ID: 0 Arrow 1 bedroom cluster house for sale ...
    in2town.co.uk/propertyforsale/component/option,com_estateagent/Itemid,30/act,object/id,30/task,showEO/ - 27k - Cached - Similar pages
    #
    AIUK : Israel/USA: Israel must hand over maps of cluster bomb ...
    30 Jan 2007 ... In August and September 2006, Amnesty International researchers found unexploded BLU-63 sub-munitions from CBU-58B cluster bombs in a house ...
    ww.amnesty.org.uk/news_details.asp?NewsID=17250 - 19k - Cached - Similar pages
  • m_13
    m_13 Posts: 990 Forumite
    edited 10 April 2009 at 9:15PM
    Options
    I had a friend who bought a starter cluster house near Luton in the 1980s. It looked like a normal detached house but was split into three separate one bedroom houses. There were three front doors (two on one side and one on the back where the back door would have been).

Inside there was an open plan lounge diner with a single run of kitchen units across the back wall. There were patio doors next to the kitchen. The open stairs went up one side and led to a small double bedroom with an en-suite shower room.

Outside the garden was mainly parking but each 'house' had a patio area outside their patio doors. There was parking for one car for each 'house'. The rest of the garden was shared between the three properties.

My friends were pleased to get on the property ladder but their house was tiny and had absolutely no storage.

This isn't it but the property size is very, very similar.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Real useful these are:

You need to improve your Google skills ;)

Cluster house for sale

would probably do it :D
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,683 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    solidsponge stated
    "
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robert_Sterling viewpost.gif

Real useful these are:

#
    Remax House cluster room closure
    The Remax House Cluster will be permanently closed from the 6pm Thursday 5th June. Alternative Clusters can be found at ...
    - 21k - Cached - Similar pages
    "

Dear solid: Did you notice the double quotes?? These """""""""""" " " " things??

There's a difference between googling' cluster house and googling "cluster house".. try it & see if you haven't already..

Cheers & Best wishes to all, including those who don't agree with me..

Lodger
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport