4x4 Vehicles - Should they be banned from Town/City Centres

Options

Comments

• Murphy_The_Cat
    Options
    Big_O wrote:
    How is the Jeep Wrangler cheaper per mile than the Yaris? I'm surprsied at that, would like to see how that's worked out. That's a genuine question, not a dispute of your table, btw Lob Rockster!

Incidentally, not ALL BMW drivers are irresponsible! Though since purchasing mine, I've noticed I'm let out at junctions rather less. An argument for banning all non-BMW drivers, methinks...

Hi Big O

It's quite complicated how its worked out (& TBH you'd find it easier to follow if you bought the Nov issue of What Car), but they go deep into the manufacturing methods of vehicles, how much / what type of steel makes them, shipping costs from where manufactured to where they are sold etc, etc.

Quite a thoughtful article.

MTC HissyClaw.gifMTCEnglish.gif

p.s. congratulations. You are in the tiniest minority of motorists in the UK. By your own words, you drive a BMW and you're not irresponsible - it must be just the rest of them then. :rotfl:
  • Big_O
    Big_O Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh, I may have to buy that then. That makes a lot of sense - the Jeep is famously made from very cheap pressed steel and with an old engine.

Lol, I try and be responsible! And the look of shock when I let people out whilst in town is well worth it! :D A Beemer driver? Giving way? Whaaaat?!?!?
  • tamste
    tamste Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have an SUV which has permanent 4x4 drive. It is more economical than quite a few 2 wheel drive cars that the anti 4x4 brigade think are ok, is shorter and and thus takes less space up on the road and is used to pull a caravan, so no CO2 hungry plane trips for us. NB I need a heavyish car to pull the caravan, and the 4x4 comes into playwhen towing into / out of wet fields. Suspect my overall carbon balance is better than most of the anti 4x4 brigade....
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lets bear in mind that 4x4 owners, and any fuel hungry car owners,, pay more road fund tax and more fuel = more tax. they must know this before they buy the vehicle. this has helped me. the road fund tax was reduced for small cars recently and was added to the fuel hungry cars!
  • burbs_2
    burbs_2 Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    Here we go with another rumbling debate (we havent had one for at least 3 weeks so i suppose we are due 1) about the dreaded 4x4s and the numerous reasons we should ban them.

I am fed up of carrot chewing, straw hat wearing do-gooders telling us what we can and cant drive, where we can and cant drive and why we should abide by their rules.

4x4s will do a lot of damage if they hit someone is the first reason. Any car hitting someone is going to hurt regardless if it is a 4x4 or a Metro it is going to hurt.

4x4s pollute more blah blah blah. We pay more to drive them for that very reason.

The list goes on and on. I have said before i used to drive a BMW X5 and loved it. My family were safe and i liked that thought. I dont live on a farm, i live in a city and i drove a 4x4 - shock horror.

People need to go and chill out and moan about something important rather than what other people choose to drive.
  • 110frankie
    Options
    it's because they think we're a soft touch because of the media and politicians having a go.
    Notice how quiet they go when a bunch of us come in with sensible, comments backed up by actual facts rather than inuendo and bias?
    ...or they descend to personal abuse.
    It's sad when people have nothing better to do.
  • little_miss_thrifty
    Options
    Is the teeny tiny Fiat Panda 4x4 going to be banned from towns/cities???

I have had MANY cars of all shapes and sizes, but you know what needs changing the most...the !!!!! behind the wheel...lobby for refresher courses in keeping driving licences instead.
    Buy nothing for a month challenge - Oct
    12/31 NSD

CC - [STRIKE]£536.02[/STRIKE] £336.02
  • little_miss_thrifty
    Options
    You have missed the point completely, we are talking about 4x4s not four wheel drive cars, they are a completly differente kettle of fish. It is a different matter between a 4ltr Range rover and a 1.8ltr Subaru legacy.

4x4's and 4WD are exactly the same thing, so, half the country's transport should be banned now?
    Buy nothing for a month challenge - Oct
    12/31 NSD

CC - [STRIKE]£536.02[/STRIKE] £336.02
  • rdwarr
    rdwarr Posts: 6,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    This whole thread started out on the wrong premise. Rather than going after 4WD vehicles in general it would have been much more sensible to target unnecesarily big ones.
    Of course a Bentley or a Maybach will pollute more, take up more space and hurt more in an accident than a Fiat Panda or Subaru Justy.
    Can I help?
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Options
    rdwarr wrote:
    This whole thread started out on the wrong premise. Rather than going after 4WD vehicles in general it would have been much more sensible to target unnecesarily big ones.
    Of course a Bentley or a Maybach will pollute more, take up more space and hurt more in an accident than a Fiat Panda or Subaru Justy.

But the chances of being in an accident with a Maybach are tiny - they only sell about 20 per year.

MTC HissyClaw.gifMTCEnglish.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport