Is it possible to get cash for a cheque instead of having the funds credited...

Options
Should read "...to your bank account?" but I reached the maximum number of characters in the threat title. :D

Basically, I am wondering if it's possible to get cash for a cheque instead of waiting a couple of days for the money to be credited to my bank. I am leaving London in roughly 2 months, and usually HSBC takes at least a couple of days to clear the cheques, which mean I may not have enough time to get the money from my last paycheck before my flight. The cheque will probably be from HSBC too.

Comments

• Dave101t
    Dave101t Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Options
    i occasionally see a shop in a city centre that says 'cheques cashed fast', so id say it is possible, but i never have.
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • kaiser_soze
    Options
    Thanks, Dave! However, these shops always charge some processing fee, as well as a percentage of the total amount, and I'd rather leave that as a last option! :)
  • agsnu
    agsnu Posts: 1,457 Forumite
    Options
    Probably not, really. Cheques can bounce for a number of reasons. If someone gave you cash for the value of the cheque then it bounced some time later, they would be out of pocket.

Banks let you draw on cheques that aren't fully cleared (which takes 6 working days) because if the cheque bounces they can just take the money back out of your account (although doing so may create an unauthorised overdraft etc). Cheque cashing shops charge a fee to cover their risks associated with this (and also so that they can make a profit from the transaction - why would they do it for free?).

Your best option is probably to deposit it in HSBC, then use telephone or online banking to transfer it after you've left.
  • kaiser_soze
    Options
    Thanks agsnu. I think using online banking to transfer the funds once I've opened a new account is the best route now.
  • book12
    book12 Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    There is another type of cheque that could be used to convert it into cash. I know some temporary foreign workers get paid by that kind of cheque, where they could just hand that no the bank, and exchange it for cash.

In your case, that cheque can't be turned into cash.
  • willo65
    willo65 Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    Options
    If the signatory on the cheque opens it up to cash then you should be able to cash it at the bank it is drawn on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure