Cahoot Webcard (with debit card) Question

Options
I'm considering a Cahoot account for the webcard facility, either a current account with debit card, or a credit card.

My question: Does the webcard associated with the debit card emulate a credit card? i.e. are the numbers generated in the form xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx, and do you have to select a credit card (when entering payment details) when purchasing items online? And if so, can this therefore be used on websites that don't accept debit cards?

I know that webcards associated with a credit card emulates a credit card, but I'm unsure about the debit card.

Many thanks

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you read Free safer system for online spending article and discussion ?

What do you mean when saying that some websites don't accept debit cards? If they accept Visa, you can always pay with either Visa debit card or Visa credit card. Cahoot webcard is Visa credit card:
    view webcard demo (opens new window)continue.gif
  • charlie12
    charlie12 Posts: 1,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, I've read both, thanks :)

I was just wondering from a retailer's point of view, would they be charged credit or debit card handling fees for a webcard attached to a debit card, i.e. is there a distinction between a debit-webcard and a credit-webcard?. Cheers.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    grumbler wrote:
    Cahoot webcard is Visa credit card

My Cahoot webcard is a Visa debit card (and therefore sometimes not accepted on websites that do not accept debit cards). Wasn't aware that Cahoot also do web credit cards, is this new?

EDITED: ah ok, I see. If you have a Cahoot current account only, then the webcard is automatically a debit card.

If you have a Cahoot credit card account, you also get a web credit card.

If you have both, you can choose which one to use for a specific transaction.

I would think that charging rules for the retailers depend on whether you use a debit or credit card, and that charges are independent of whether you use a webcard or a traditional card.
  • charlie12
    charlie12 Posts: 1,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's interesting, innovate - I had assumed that the webcard would act as a credit card when used with a cahoot credit card, and as a debit card when used with a cahoot debit card.

Is your cahoot webcard attached to a credit or debit card?

edit: re: your edit ;) yes I think that's how it works.
  • jago25_98
    jago25_98 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    ..bump.

I have been using my webcard as much as I can.

I have noticed that most places do not accept the card even though as far as I know to them it appears the same as any other debit card.

Could it be that they choose not to accept the webcard on the basis that they cn't use the card details at a later date?
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure