PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What Exactly Is A Spring Clean?

Options

Comments

• nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    I've never done a spring clean in the past but I might do one this year. IF I do get round to it, I'll empty out all the kitchen cupboards and wash down the shelves, wash the skirting boards, clean the scuff marks on the walls, was down the tops of tall cupboards etc. All the stuff I probably should do every 3 months or so, but somehow never find the time to do!
  • Wendrie
    Wendrie Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    I usually follow the 'zone" cleaning as seen at https://www.flylady.net but after Christmas I do go through the cupboards etc. And I tend to block out time to sort a shelf or cupboard when I see stuff that needs doing - next is my wardrobe... needs sorting and decluttering!
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My spring clean consists of me taking the head staggers, as we say here in NI , and then bunging a load of [email="cr@p"]cr@p[/email] into bin liners. From there it gets sorted into recycling or charity shop piles. Now this may not necessarily take place in spring, I have been known to do this at any time of year. In my house, if you leave it lying at your butt, it goes into one of the two piles................ ;)
  • myrnahaz
    myrnahaz Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Options
    A spring clean is something my Mum did every week, and I do every year. I call it 'prioritising' - my Mum would have called it 'slovenly'.

I was quite a little 'Anthea' when I was home with the kids, but I work full time these days and I just don't have the energy any more.
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ah, 'the head staggers' :D I love that phrase :) (but it's definitely an airing cupboard NOT a hot press!!)

Spring CLean - that's when it's warm enough to sort out those places too cold to spend any time in in winter - like the garage and the attic. In fact, can't wait for the temperature to increase because my garage is a cross between a launderette, store room from Tesco's, a camping shop and the tip :rotfl: There's stuff in there bought to tide us over "The Millenium Bug" I'm sure :D
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I do 1/52nd of a spring clean every week :D So, over the course of the year, everything gets a very thorough clean/clear-out at least once and usually more often.

The end result is the same a Spring Clean without having to make an additional chore out of it and without having to write-off a weekend to do it :D
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • honey28
    honey28 Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Every now and then I also take the "head staggers" and start to clear somewhere out, like the hot press, under the beds, kids rooms. Then, after about 10 minutes I wish I hadn't and want to chuck it all back in again :rotfl:
    Tell me I ain't alone :confused: :rotfl: LOL!
  • tee_pee_2
    tee_pee_2 Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    Options
    I don't spring clean as such but as soon as the wheather is a bit warmer I take my curtains down and put them on the line for a blow and wash the settee covers. Also clean out my cupboards, but ALWAYs GET FED UP 1/2 WAY THROUGH and go to bed in the dark cos there's no curtains up at the window!!
  • tee_pee_2
    tee_pee_2 Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    Options
    Arghhhh just had a realisation, no wonder the old man across the road keeps giving me a knowing smile. He prob loves Spring :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't do a full spring clean. But when the weather gets warmer.

I tend to take the voila panels and curtains down and wash them. Coats, gloves etc get washed.

Any thing like fleece blankets that have been used to snuggle up on the sofa with also get a wash.

And the covers off my sofa get a wash as well.

I tend to go de-clutter when it needs it rather than just because it is spring.

Other things like skirting boards etc get cleaned when they look like then need doing.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family