Mothercare Baby Plan - is it worthwhile?

Options
2»

Comments

• code-a-holic
    code-a-holic Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldnt bother..... Mothercare is more expensive for most things, especially big items.
  • nadnad
    nadnad Posts: 1,593 Forumite
    Options
    gingois wrote: »
    I was already thinking of Mothercare and Babies R Us (which is next door to my local mothercare, how handy) as being a showroom for me to test things before buy online, so I'll be going down that route.

Thanks a million guys - and all our best wishes to those of you who are expecting at the moment as well.

thats the best idea - go to the shop so you can see and test everything you need and then look online for the best deals. I found that a local baby shop was actually better value as i bartered a bit with them and got a good discount - chains wont usually do this, so as well as internet check out any wee independant retailers.
    DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY ;)

norn iron club member no.1
  • robin_banks
    robin_banks Posts: 15,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You wont need half the stuff on that list.

Ebay, freecycle, charity shops will work out far cheaper than any money off vouchers mothercare may offer.

Baby no 2 arrives in 5 weeks if it's a boy (we don't know) we wont need to buy any clothes till he's 2 as we kept everything that could be kept. If it turns to be a girl then a chairty shop will do nicely out of us.

I've always found mothercare expensive for what it is tbh.
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

!!!!!! is all that about?
  • Evansangel
    Evansangel Posts: 6,791 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also, the catalouge of stuff is very limited.
    I went in and got one, i was going to get our pram on it. But the pram i want isn't even on their list.
    Its a good idea if you want everything brand new and can afford it, but as everyone has said, you can get alot of stuff cheaper elsewhere :D

x x
  • lindsaygalaxy
    lindsaygalaxy Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    With our first one I found most stuff cheaper in Babies R Us, and this time will be getting the bigger items e.g. travel system from there. In the back of the Babies r us catalogue are money off vouchers just like the ones that mothercare are offering.
    This time i will also be shopping around, as have found muslin squares to be cheaper at tesco/asda, and I got the tommy tippee closer to nature range half price at tesco (though not BPA free), 2 anti-colic bottle £4.99, breast pump £12.99 and from argos microwave steriliser and bottles £6.99.

Join all the clubs, keep an eye out for offers and vouchers and its just like buying a bit at a time anyway like the plan. Also remmeber from April when you reach 26weeks (I think that is correct) you get £190 maternity grant, which I will be using to pay for most of the pram, though wish it was for a weekend at the spa instead!
    £2 Savers club £0/£150
    1p a day £/
  • foreversomeday
    foreversomeday Posts: 1,011 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with the others - Mothercare is very expensive. Everything there (big things) seems to be about 5-10% more expensive than it is anywhere else (and usually much cheaper online.) People told me this but I didn't believe them, as their baby clothes are good value for the quality of them! So the baby clothes are the exception I think.

I bought a few things much too early and later wished I'd bought something else. So my tip is go in, have a play with whatever it is you are looking at, narrow it down to about 3 or 4 different models, go home and research on the internet - look at the brand's own website as well as review sites. I also like to search for it on any non-review websites that I spend time on such as this one, in case it has had a mention. Then bearing in mind all of this information you might want another play with some of the models or a look at the colours in real life before you decide.

I would start putting money in a high interest account now to save up for the baby things. And then buy them as late as possible, in the 8th month of pregnancy (start looking at about 6-7 months for second hand things) - so you are still sort of paying in dribs and drabs, but no worries about the company going bust or hidden interest charges etc. Or stick it all on a 0% interest cashback credit card!
    I don't believe and I never did that two wrongs make a right
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport