Some advice please

Options
My hubby has been receiving DLA for the last 8 years, middle care and lower mobility. We last applied in 2006 and it was awarded for three years, anyway we have just applied again and everything has been stopped, even though his condition is worse not better. How can they just decide to stop after 8 years, I have asked them to look at the claim again and have sent a letter of support from our GP. Can they just do this?

Also I was wondering if someone qualifies for the disabled element of tax credits because they were claiming long term IB, what will happen at renewal as IB wont have been paid for the last year? Does the fact that they have been getting the disabled element qualify them to receive it again?

Comments

• munchings-n-crunchings
    Options
    Hello Daff Duck,

With respect to DLA, just because someone has received it for a number of years, does not mean it will continue without question.

The claim will not just stop with no reason, so have you been given the decision from renewal forms?

If the claim has now been turned down, it can simply be down to the way in which the renewal forms were filled in.

You really need to make an appointment with an organisation that can help you with the appeals process.
    There is the CAB, Dial and Welfare Rights.
    If you kept a copy of your renewal forms, take them with you when you go for advice.

Regards
    Munchie
  • daff_duck
    daff_duck Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    We were giveb DLA care on the fact that he couldn't cook a meal and needed care through the night, mobility was given because he needs supervision in unfamiliar places. Also because he can become unconsious, due to fits and blackouts, he is a danger to himself. On the renewal form it said he CAN cook a meal and does NOT need supervision, Also they say he is NOT a danger to himself or others even though he suffurs fits, blackouts and losses concsiessness.
    I didnt keep a copy of the form I sent to them. Getting an app. with our local CAB is a nightmare and will take too long. They say they will look again at their decision and I am too sand any extra evidence too them. I have a letter of support from our G.P. and I will write a letter myself as his carer. Do you think there is any chance they will overturn their decision or will we likley have to go to appeal?
  • munchings-n-crunchings
    Options
    Some decisions can be changed at this point.

You will need to think back to how you answered the questions.

If for example, he had aids to help him prepare a meal, then they would be right in their answer.
    It may be that the DWP decide to ask for a medical, to obtain further information regarding your husbands disability

There are a few branches of Dial located in Wales.
    http://www.dialuk.info

Or Welfare Rights is part of the county council.
    You do need to push to get some advice. The CAB and Welfare Rights understand the timescale involved.

A letter from your GP will be useful, and even better if it mentions about his diagnosis if there is one, what can happen due to the diagnosis, if he is aware of any examples of things that have happened in the past due to fits / blackouts etc.
    These are all things that will highlight your husbands needs.

Munchie
  • Kimitatsu
    Kimitatsu Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    Options
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Kimitatsu wrote: »
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

There is more likely to be a better response on the benefits board as many more people read it and there are many people who post about and know about DLA.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    healy wrote: »
    There is more likely to be a better response on the benefits board as many more people read it and there are many people who post about and know about DLA.

Agreed.

Kimitatsu, are you not aware that DLA and Tax Credits are Benefits? :confused:
    Gone ... or have I?
  • daff_duck
    daff_duck Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I thought I did post in the Benefits and Tax credits. Where has my thread been moved too then?
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    daff_duck wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I thought I did post in the Benefits and Tax credits. Where has my thread been moved too then?

You did post in Benefits and Tax credits. Your post has been moved to Disability and Dosh which is a shame really.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure