Income support when partner is a full time student?

Options
Hello,

I am currently on Income Support and DLA (Higher Care, Lower Mobility). I also get Local Housing Allowance (covers full rent) and Council Tax Benefit. I live with my friend, who originally was meant to be my carer but unfortunately her job means she can't be there when I need her anymore.

As a crazy suggestion, she said that it may be an idea for my boyfriend to move in with me. This appeals, not only because I love him and enjoy his company, but also because it would mean not needing to move back into supported accommodation again (I am not coping at home at the moment, but I just need someone to be there in the evenings and at night). This is still nowhere near certain, but I need to do some research to see if it is possible.

My boyfriend is a full time student. He would be planning to continue studying at university while here (I'm at college all day, so that's fine). My question is how would the benefits work out? There's no way we'd be able to manage on just his student loans and my DLA, but if he were to move in what would we be entitled to?
Purple Penguin Power!

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    His Student Loan and Grant (if he gets one) will be assessed as income the same as if he were earning the money. How much does he get?
  • Danni
    Danni Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    £6166.35 in total this year, part loan and part grant (he doesn't remember what parts though).

It might be different from September, but not too much so.
    Purple Penguin Power!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport