Mobility Car Help

Options
Hello,

My mum who is 73, suffers from severe arthritis, COPD (i think thats what its called?) and other things. I take her out in my car, however as i only have a peugeot 106 L reg, she finds it extremely difficult to get in and out of the car.

I am in the process of applying for a blue badge for her, and am also thinking about trying to get her DLA, but the form seems to be so big its putting me off.

I have been to mobility.com and it appears she would only be eligable if she was to receive the higher rate dla.

Is this the only place she can get one from?

She currently gets attendance allowance if thats help with your advice?
Started slimming world 4th November 2010

Starting weight 13st 4.5lb
Current weight 12st 11.5lb

Mummy to 3 boys and 1 girl.

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    smegs1978 wrote: »
    Hello,

My mum who is 73, suffers from severe arthritis, COPD (i think thats what its called?) and other things. I take her out in my car, however as i only have a peugeot 106 L reg, she finds it extremely difficult to get in and out of the car.

I am in the process of applying for a blue badge for her, and am also thinking about trying to get her DLA, but the form seems to be so big its putting me off.

I have been to mobility.com and it appears she would only be eligable if she was to receive the higher rate dla.

You can't get DLA for someone over 65; AA is the equivalent benefit and she already receives it. You can have a blue badge without receiving DLA or AA.
  • P4ula
    P4ula Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Unless she is a War Pensioner who can be awarded the War Pensioners Mobility Supplement at any age, she is unfortunately too old to claim Disability Living Allowance which is the only other route to getting a Motability Car.

No other benefits give access to Motability cars. As posted above though, she can apply for a Blue Badge under the assessed criteria.

Paula
  • smegs1978
    smegs1978 Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    So if she can't get DLA, how would she be entitled to a mobility car?

• sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    She can`t get a mobility car at all but she could fund a car from her AA if she chooses.

sunnyone
  • Semaj_2
    Semaj_2 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,

Can you not apply for a carers allowance?
  • smegs1978
    smegs1978 Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    No because i work full time, would this help me get her a mobility car if i was to become her full time carer?

• P4ula
    P4ula Posts: 53 Forumite
    edited 5 April 2009 at 1:38PM
    Options
    No because i work full time, would this help me get her a mobility car if i was to become her full time carer?

No. Just to recap for you, to get a Motability Car, one needs to be awarded one of the following two benefits namely:

High Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (maximum age for first claiming is 64 years and 364 days old - ie before one is aged 65).

or

War Pensioners Mobility Supplement (no maximum age but needs to be receiving a War Pension of at least 40%).

Without either of the above two benefits, she cannot get a Motability car.

Paula
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport