addisons disease,is my son entitled to any benefit

Options
hi all.

can anyone tell me if my son is entiltled to any benefit for addisons disease, it is a life long condition and is on medication daily four times a day, he is 10 years old.

many thanks

kellers

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    He may qualify for DLA but It would depend on what is care needs are. Taking medication for a condition doesn't give an entitlement to dla, but the way your condition effects your day to day life could.

Addison's disease symptoms are similar in many ways to severe hypothyroidism, but dla isn't payable for hypothyroidism as medication keeps the disease under control & enables sufferer's to lead a normal life.

Seek experienced welfare rights advice if you do decide you'd like to try for dla.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Disability benefits aren't payable because of a diagnosis but because of someone's care or mobility needs.
  • kellers_2
    Options
    thanks for replying, was just curious really as i cant really understand why one child with addisons is accepted and another isn't when daily needs and medications are the same. although i do only know of the one child who has benefits the other children in the support group dont get it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure