Shocking MBNA behaviour - can they do this and is this correct?

Options
We have a joint MBNA CC (please feel free to pity us).

Every month we always pay more than the minimum balance and have done for months, sometimes as much as twice what's asked. We have never missed a payment in our 10+ years off holding this account.

Last month when I sat down and looked at our finances to rerig to save more and pay off more I asked my hubbie to pay MBNA which I usually pay. However he got confused and paid the amount to the Halifax (yes I know they sounds so similar). Anyway statement came for Halifax with this payment on it so queried hubbie and found out he hadn't paid MBNA.

He got on the phone straight away and informed MBNA about the mistake and told them he would make a payment straight away for last month and the forthcoming statement (which had not even been received yet).

After the call he contact bank and made the payment immediately. This was Thursday - last week.

On Friday 'MBNA' called chasing an out of date payment. I told them it had been made the day before and they said they would make a note of it. Yesterday they called again insisting that we make an immediate payment as no payment had been received. They told hubbie that if he didn't make a payment over the phone at that minute his credit rating would be damaged. No matter how many times my hubbie told this rude lady (Ann Thomas her name is by the way) he had made the payment she wouldn't let up. In the end Hub had to put the phone down.

Anyway he rang bank who told him the money had gone and then he rang MBNA and they had received it.

It turned out that this company was a debt collection agency who get 20% of anything they collect - no wonder they were so aggresive.

My questions are;

1) If you are a debt collection agency don't you have to say that? They didn't they said they were calling from MBNA

2) If your creditor gives your debt to another company to collect aren't they supposed to tell you?

3) Why would MBNA do this when we have a perfect history with them?

4) Although a late payment is not great would it really be that bad on our credit rating? The statement for the next payment hadn't even been received yet so we weren't a month late more like 3 week as the statement has only just arrived.

5) Can we complain and who to?

I'm really annoyed about this and think they are acting badly and incorrectly.

Thanks
Emma

Comments

• Emmaizzy
    Emmaizzy Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Bumping sorry really want to get a letter off today! GRR
  • Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    You made a late payment.
    The consequences so far seem to be disproportionate.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • clairbear_3
    clairbear_3 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Options
    Does seem heavyhanded
    I wonder what MBNA would do if all MSErs emailed their disgust
    Power to the peopleicon7.gif
  • Emmaizzy
    Options
    That would be great - how do I start a petition!!!!
  • scott_lithgows
    scott_lithgows Posts: 1,424 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why bother?.
    Why dont you transfer the balance to another credit card provider and close the MBNA one?
    If you have been a good customer for 10 years this will hurt them more than anything else.
    Dont get mad get even !
    I have a deep burning indifference
  • Emmaizzy
    Options
    If we could we would but we owe them £8 and don't have another card we can transfer it to.
  • dreamer33
    dreamer33 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Options
    Emmaizzy wrote: »
    We have a joint MBNA CC (please feel free to pity us).

Every month we always pay more than the minimum balance and have done for months, sometimes as much as twice what's asked. We have never missed a payment in our 10+ years off holding this account.

Last month when I sat down and looked at our finances to rerig to save more and pay off more I asked my hubbie to pay MBNA which I usually pay. However he got confused and paid the amount to the Halifax (yes I know they sounds so similar). Anyway statement came for Halifax with this payment on it so queried hubbie and found out he hadn't paid MBNA.

He got on the phone straight away and informed MBNA about the mistake and told them he would make a payment straight away for last month and the forthcoming statement (which had not even been received yet).

After the call he contact bank and made the payment immediately. This was Thursday - last week.

On Friday 'MBNA' called chasing an out of date payment. I told them it had been made the day before and they said they would make a note of it. Yesterday they called again insisting that we make an immediate payment as no payment had been received. They told hubbie that if he didn't make a payment over the phone at that minute his credit rating would be damaged. No matter how many times my hubbie told this rude lady (Ann Thomas her name is by the way) he had made the payment she wouldn't let up. In the end Hub had to put the phone down.

Anyway he rang bank who told him the money had gone and then he rang MBNA and they had received it.

It turned out that this company was a debt collection agency who get 20% of anything they collect - no wonder they were so aggresive.

My questions are;

1) If you are a debt collection agency don't you have to say that? They didn't they said they were calling from MBNA

2) If your creditor gives your debt to another company to collect aren't they supposed to tell you?

3) Why would MBNA do this when we have a perfect history with them?

4) Although a late payment is not great would it really be that bad on our credit rating? The statement for the next payment hadn't even been received yet so we weren't a month late more like 3 week as the statement has only just arrived.

5) Can we complain and who to?

I'm really annoyed about this and think they are acting badly and incorrectly.

Thanks
    Emma

You can complain through MBNAs complaints service, if not a satisfactory response received from them you can complain to the Financial Ombudsmun, it will cost MBNA £500 now for going to FOS, you do have to use the companies complaint procedure first before FOS will look into it, I have a complaint in with FOS due to the disgusting treatment my OH has received from them, Arrow Global are their debt collectors, they like to go staight for the jugular:mad:

MBNA have 8wks to respond if you do send a letter make sure it is sent recorded delivery as proof for FOS.
    :wave:
  • clio
    clio Posts: 3,345 Forumite
    Options
    Emmaizzy wrote: »
    If we could we would but we owe them £8

eight quid is easy too pay, can you not look down the sofa etc.
  • Emmaizzy
    Options
    LOL I meant £8k!!!!
  • Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    £8,000 seems a lot to have owing on a credit card.
    Do you have a plan for reducing this debt.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport