We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Tax credits, are you allowed pension payments?

Our income has dropped quite a bit in last year and will be ring tax credits up on mon to make sure we get what we should.

But just woundering are you allowed to take your pension contributions off?

ie salary £20k pension £900 so income £19100?

Trying to sort figures out

Thanks

Comments

• Marcheline
    Marcheline Posts: 450 Forumite
    Hi, I don't believe you can take off pension payments (I never have done anyway) As far as I can recall the form asks for gross income, therefore you cannot take off pension payments. If you have a look at the guidance notes again (I know, they'd drive you mad! Or they do me anyway!) it should make it clear. Hope this helps.
  • Yes, you deduct your pension contributions.

You are allowed to do this because when you receive your pension you would declare it as a taxable income to tax credits.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/tc600-notes.pdf Page 20-21
  • hotblu
    hotblu Posts: 293 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hello

Just to point out, you cannot take off pension contributions if they are being deducted by employer at time of pay. You can only deduct contributions you make using your net pay.

HTH

Hotblu
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.