Car stolen - house frontdoor left open

Options
Recently had my car stolen from outside my house (street parked). Front door may have been left open as there were bo signs of forced entry. Car keys were stolen from hallway. Very anxious as to were i stand regarding the car insurance claim. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:o

Comments

• sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Options
    Are you sure the front door was left open?
    Were the keys on a hall table, in full view from the letter box? No idea about the insurance claim - sorry - but have heard that letterbox fishing is a common method for stealing cars.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Were the keys stolen at night?

Were the keys on a table etc close to the door?
  • simoncor
    Options
    theft occured at night. Cant be certain keys were left in lock or not. cant think of any other explanation
  • dacouch
    Options
    Its quite common for thieves to "fish" for car keys through letter boxes at night time.

Its very very difficult to steal a modern car without the keys so they resort to this or break into the house for the keys.

Report the claim to your Insurers and let them get on with the claim, if you have any problems with them post them up here.

P.S Do you have a BMW or Audi or a 4x4 by any chance?
  • Treacle1983
    Options
    I used to work for Norwich Union - and we wouldn't have covered your claim if the keys had been taken from the house without forced entry - not on your car cover or your household cover........

Others not covered: keys left in door of car, door of car left open, sunroof open etc....

You really need to look into the small print on your insurance.........
    Not really comping any more as too ill - but hoping to win £1000+ in 2017 in cash prizes - watch this space!
  • simoncor
    Options
    Car keys were taken from inside the property. Reported the crime promptly currrently in hands of insurers. Just worried i might not be covererd if they decide front door was left unlocked.
  • dacouch
    Options
    Treacle there is nothing in the NU policy saying they will not pay out if the keys are stolen from the home without signs of forcible entry. So if they refused the ombudsman would rule in the claimants favour as he would deem the car had been stolen.

In addition the ombudsman will rule in the claimants favour for theft of a vehicle or from it if a door or window is left open without the keys in the vehicle in certain circumstances.
  • dacouch
    Options
    Simoncar, have a word with your local crime prevention officer who can advise you on making your home more secure. You can also ask them if this happens a lot in your area (You tend to find a pattern of it happening), if it does it would indicate you have been a victim of "Fishing". (They hook keys etc by poking sticks with hooks on through your letter box.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have a modern UPVC door? When you close the door does it lock on the latch (openable from inside but not using outside handle)? If it latches so that you cannot open it from outside then it is secured. However these doors can be easily "lock bumped" open so that entry is gained but no damage is caused.
    The man without a signature.
  • dacouch
    Options
    vikingaero wrote: »
    Do you have a modern UPVC door? When you close the door does it lock on the latch (openable from inside but not using outside handle)? If it latches so that you cannot open it from outside then it is secured. However these doors can be easily "lock bumped" open so that entry is gained but no damage is caused.

I've heard that as well viking.

In addition a double glazing client also told me of a way that is very popular in eastern Europe where you can make a skelton key for a few pounds that works in most upvc doors.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure