My front door has dropped

Options
Hi

Just looking for some advice as I am totally lost. My upvc appears to have dropped. I can still open & shut it, although not as well as usual, but have noticed a gap enough for me to get my finger into. I can also feel a draught coming through it.

Sorry for being a bit thick but is it possible to fix it myself or at least get someone to do it for me or will I have to get a new front door. I'm really worried in case it gets worse so any help would be appreciated. The door was fitted about 20 years ago and I have never had a problem with it before.

Comments

• SatanicHare
    SatanicHare Posts: 390 Forumite
    Options
    To be honest if it's suddenly dropped after 20 years it may be that you have a problem with the hinges. Usually if a door has not been "heel and toe" glazed then you'd have had problems years sooner. I'd suggest checking that the hinges are intact and securely fitted to the door, if they're not, call out someone who knows what they're doing. If everything seems ok have a look at this
    http://www.kbwindowsltd.co.uk/Pages/Static/Glazingadvice.aspx
    You'll need to remove the glazing beads to reglaze the door.
    If you need more advice on how to do this let me know
  • Locknut
    Locknut Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah I agree with satanic If you dont want to tackle the job yourself get intouch with a trusted locksmith. if you let me know where in the country you are I may be able to reccomend someone.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Yeah I agree with satanic If you dont want to tackle the job yourself get intouch with a trusted locksmith. if you let me know where in the country you are I may be able to reccomend someone.

or a glazier or joiner or window fitter
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Local window / door company, £29 later it will be fixed.

Our UPVC back door dropped, 20mins work, all fixed..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure