Laundrette charges

Options
Can anyone tell me how much a wash in a laundrette is nowadays? Our washing machine decided to break down yesterday and we'll be without it for a week or two - joy of joys when we have three children including a mad toddler who likes to get filthy on a daily basis!

Comments

• tsstss7
    tsstss7 Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    the one near me charges £2.00 for a small wash and £3.40 for a large. Then I'd normally pay £1 ish to dry.

A small wash easily takes 2 home loads.
    MSE PARENT CLUB MEMBER.
    ds1 nov 1997
    ds2 nov 2007
    :j
    First DD
    First DD born in june:beer:.
  • Marcheline
    Marcheline Posts: 450 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, no idea but when our washing machine broke down in the past (think we were without it for 2 weeks) my mum did all the washing in the bath by hand!
  • bulchy
    bulchy Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    We've got a huge bedspread that wont fit in the washing machine, I rang around the local laundrettes (nearest one is 3 miles away so not that local) Some where charging as much as £8 :eek: so I would advise you to have a ring around as it will differ depending where you live, but like tss says, you will get twice as much washing done in one load. Do you not have any family or friends that could help you out with at least some of your washing? I usually take mine down to my dads, and would always return the favour when he needs it.
    Sue
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    Options
    The last time I used a launderette (in London) the charges varied from about £3.50 for a standard machine, to £5 for the bigger one and then £8-ish for the really massive machine. It was the drying that seemed to cost the most though, one place it was 20p and one place was 50p, and you needed pounds and pounds to get stuff really dry.
  • Krystaltips
    Krystaltips Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    I agree about asking around friends etc, you might be surprised... A friend of mine who has no family locally has asked a couple of times to put a load through my mahcine when hers has broken down... I usually dry and fold it for her before she collects it too... And recently my washer and dryer have both given up the ghost... For the couple of weeks I was without a washer my Mum took my washing and bought it back washed, dried and folded... And a couple of times she's taken my towels to tumble dry them as the radiators make them go concrete... But I decided concrete towels were marginally better than smokey ones so haven't asked for a while...
    A very proud Mummy to 3 beautiful girls... I do pity my husband though, he's the one to suffer the hormones...
    Krystal is so smart and funny and wonderful I am struck dumb in awe in her presence.

• oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Soak things like socks and underwear overnight in buckets of soapy water then you can just rinse them out in the morning and leave to drip on the line outside (hope you have an outside!) I've found that cuts down on some of the wash. Sheets and towels need taking to the launderette or friends if you can't last out until the repair man comes.

My best friend has TWO washing machines side by side in the garage , to get the most from economy seven but it also means she's never without a working machine !! Sadly my garage isn't suitable for the same.

Oystercatcher
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • tsstss7
    tsstss7 Posts: 1,255 Forumite
    Options
    Hi was in a rush earlier so just wanted to add to get the most out of your visit to the landerette take change (pound coins and 20ps in my local one but could also be 50p's in yours), dont forget the powder (my local one uses tesco value in their vending machine), dont forget to use the spinner before tumbling and it's better to split the loads in 2 tumblers than put in more cash - aside from being quicker your clothes will dry better - be less creased etc.

Oh and don't forget a good book - about an hour from wash to dry in mine.
    MSE PARENT CLUB MEMBER.
    ds1 nov 1997
    ds2 nov 2007
    :j
    First DD
    First DD born in june:beer:.
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    £5 in my local one for a big machine. It's also worth asking the cost of a service wash, sometimes it's not that much more and there is a real pleasure in dropping off a load of dirty washing and getting it back washed, dried and folded :)
  • Loopy_Lobes
    Loopy_Lobes Posts: 575 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you everyone! :D my MIL did say we could take it all to hers but it's a long round trip and would take up half the day driving there and waiting for the washing so my other half took 2 big baskets to the laundrette this morning. It was £3.20 per wash and he managed to get a lot in there, about 50% more than our machine at home. Only took 30 minutes too. Didn't need the dryer as we hang it all outside. Really impressed, haven't used a laundrette for ages and thought it would cost lots more. Got someone coming to look at the machine on Tuesday, just hope it's fixable. Must say it's amazing how once you don't have easy access to a machine you start wearing clothes for 2 or 3 days without batting an eyelid, I think I'm rather guilty of washing almost clean clothes a lot of the time :o
  • MummyMoo
    MummyMoo Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    £3.60 a massive wash..I mean REALLY suprising how much that women can shove into a machine!! lol! I have a really lovely washing machine at home but not enough raidiators to dry even a half load on, plus when they ARE on they are crap council house ones anyway and take ages (and obvioulsy lots of money) to get them dry.
    So I get my drying done at the laudrette every two weeks (family of two adults and a messy messy toddler) and its a life (and money) saver! costs about a £5 but its tsill well worth its cost. TBH if I'd known a while ago how cheap the washing is in laundrettes I wouldnt have sacrified the space in my kitchen for a bloody £300 washing machine!
    Only two people away from a threesome :grouphug:
    [FONT=&quot][STRIKE](£22,131.38 debt hanging around my neck[/FONT])
    Bankrupt, (14/9/12)
    £300 away from debt free!! (16/6/14)[/STRIKE]
    £2017 in 2017 = 0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills