What would you do?????

Options
If you have read my last post titled "Paypal Problem", you will know that i had to ring paypal today to get them to sort my account out as it was in negative balance, as i had a paypal claim against me that the buyer won and he did everything right by sending the item back by special delivery and there was no issues with anything.

However, I have just got off the phone with paypal and they have confirmed that they have received nothing from the buyer in that he hasnt uploaded the tracking code information into paypal, so paypal are going to close the case in my favour and refund me the money.

Now, as you might have guessed i have my item back in my pocession along with the money that the buyer paid with! Of course, i am expecting some emails from the buyer in a matter of minutes saying that i owe them the money as they returned the item, etc and can i do it now.

What would people do in this situation? I have worked out the possible things:

1. ignore them as there is nothing they can do
2. reply to emails saying that as far as i am concerned the case is closed and it was your responsibilty to upload the tracking information etc into paypal.
3. refund them straightaway through paypal

It would be interesting to hear people's view on this and if anyone has had a similar situation??

Thanks

Comments

• spikescot2005
    Options
    Easy question -

3. refund them straight away through paypal
  • supermezzo
    supermezzo Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd wait and see what happens with the buyer i.e. wait until they make contact with you and see what they say about it. I don't see that you have to rush into anything until then.
    It aint over til I've done singing....
  • yeslek
    yeslek Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd wait until the buyer contacts you, as if they were that worried about getting their money back they would have done as they were told by paypal (though in the buyers defence paypal dont make things easy - they appear to only use fax for proof even though they are an online business :rolleyes: )
  • flyingbanana_2
    Options
    I am thinking of refunding them back just because i would want someone to do that to me, however i am tempted to say to them that i am going to take out the charges that i incurred with this from FLF, paypal, etc
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am thinking of refunding them back just because i would want someone to do that to me, however i am tempted to say to them that i am going to take out the charges that i incurred with this from FLF, paypal, etc

The paypal fees will not be payable as they are returned with the payment.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • flyingbanana_2
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    The paypal fees will not be payable as they are returned with the payment.

but the dude is going to want back what he paid in full where i never recieved that amount in paypal as it took their percentage, which i know they do, but as the item wasnt sold in the end, why should paypal still take their commission and thus i lose out?
  • StaffsSW
    StaffsSW Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    but the dude is going to want back what he paid in full where i never recieved that amount in paypal as it took their percentage, which i know they do, but as the item wasnt sold in the end, why should paypal still take their commission and thus i lose out?

If the transaction is refunded, the buyer gets their full amount, and you have the fees refunded by paypal - but only if you use the refund transaction facility.

The only person worse off is the buyer, as they have had to pay to return the item.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • flyingbanana_2
    Options
    stevew8975 wrote: »
    If the transaction is refunded, the buyer gets their full amount, and you have the fees refunded by paypal - but only if you use the refund transaction facility.

The only person worse off is the buyer, as they have had to pay to return the item.

ah ok, thanks for that! I am still waiting to hear from the buyer about the case being closed, so i will see when (and if) they do!?!?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure