Advice Needed - Garage Replaced Wrong Tyres

Options
mbamick
mbamick Posts: 291 Forumite
Hi there.
My OH had 2 x illegal tyres on the rear of her car, which I pointed out to her. She took the car in for a service and asked the garage to quote for replacement rear tyres. The price was reasonable compared to other local tyre fitters, so told them to go ahead.

When I got home last night I noticed that the 2 rear tyres were still on the car, and that the 2 front tyres [which both still had 3mm tread left on them] had been replaced. Looking at the Service Report, it is quite clear that the front tyres are OK and that the rear tyres are bald, and that replacement tyres were authorised for the rear - not the front.

It's fallen to me to sort out the mix up. I'm assuming that it would be perfectly reasonable to expect the garage to move the front tyres to the rear, and reinstate the 3mm tyres on the front. The tracking was done too. Would that need rechecking?

Any advice would be warmly welcomed.

Comments

• Locknut
    Locknut Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    I would say that they would if you pointed there error out to them but be quick before they throw them away, or haggle for some cheaper rears then you have 4 new on the car:j

But on a side note most tyre mamafacturers reccomend you change your tyres at 3mm now anyway.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would use it as a haggling tool to get a discount on the ones on the front. I am assuming that the service garage that noted the rear tyres also did the job? If not it is not so cut and dried.
  • steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tracking only needs doing if the fronts wear unevenly , or if you have reported that you recently hit a large pot hole etc

if they are wearing normaly and it drove straight then no need

its often added on for those that dont know any better
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Options
    have you actually measured the tyres?
    maybe they rotated the tyres?

if not i would be looking for a good discount on the next 2,i wouldnt be asking for the old ones back on.
    maybe buy one get one free?
    ...work permit granted!
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    have you actually measured the tyres?
    maybe they rotated the tyres?

if not i would be looking for a good discount on the next 2,i wouldnt be asking for the old ones back on.
    maybe buy one get one free?

I was wondering the same thing.
    They are more likely to put the new tyres on the front and move the front tyres to the back, especially if the car is front wheel drive.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You get different stories about where your new tyres should go from different places.

I had to get a new tyre last year, went along to one of the local chains and ended up having two put on, didn't have it done straight away as they didn't have the stock in, took it the next day and told them to rotate them to wherever was best. Was only a couple of days later I realised one still had the nail in (it had been moved to the front from the rear) and one of the other tyres had a flat. Changing a tyre on a Sunday evening in the middle of town ain't my idea of fun.

Went in first thing next morning, he came off the phone from a problem customer and got a bit shirty with me...I'd just spent £450 on the mot and service, £100 on tyres and frankly had had enough of car problems. So promptly burst into 100% genuine tears. Sheer guilt had him replacing both tyres for free but he did admit that they'd recently changed the forms so was an error on the part of the fitter. (form had the one with the nail as being at the front and I knew full well it was at the rear) To be honest I did feel a pathetic fraud and still shamed by it, but also neither was it my fault.

Not too sure you could get away with crying though.
  • swiftnick
    swiftnick Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    Generally as a rule the new tyres will be put on the live axle, so they could have been swapped over.

What car is it?
  • Pew_Pew_Pew_Lasers!
    Options
    The newest/best tyres should always be on the back. Always.
  • swiftnick
    swiftnick Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    The newest/best tyres should always be on the back. Always.

For what reason?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport