should there be some compensation?

Options
Hi
I purchased a second hand car. Less than four weeks later, Bosnian lorry driver rolls back into the side of my parked car. Through my insurance the car was collected for repair. This well known company returned the car two and a half weeks later. The repair was great, as you would expect.
However, whilst returning the car mats to the car I noticed oil marks in the drivers’ foot well.
Ok, I know these things can happen. Then on closer inspection of the interior I found a spillage on the back seats which has dried orange. By now the great repair has been soured a little. But then I found a 30mm cut in the drivers seat, where it looks as thou somebody’s used it as a cutting board.:mad:
Do you think I’m over reacting or should there be some compensation?

Comments

• goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Options
    why compo?
    getting it repaired or parts replaced that were damaged should be enough?
    how much compo do you feel you deserve?
    its annoying but it does happen unfortunatly.
    ...work permit granted!
  • cloudedjudgement
    Options
    I did say these things happen. I know it not a dentist surgery.
    But I believe the car should have been returned in the state it left( minus the accident damage).
  • goldspanners
    Options
    I did say these things happen. I know it not a dentist surgery.
    But I believe the car should have been returned in the state it left( minus the accident damage).

you are correct,so how much compo do you want, £1000? that seems fair enough,plus the repairs obviously.
    ...work permit granted!
  • cloudedjudgement
    Options
    No ,money isn’t my focus of intent.
    Would it be unreasonable for a full valet and repair to seat.
  • goldspanners
    Options
    No ,money isn’t my focus of intent.
    Would it be unreasonable for a full valet and repair to seat.

its worth asking,but you have seen thier poor attention to detail so do you really want then spending more time than is necessary in your car? i wouldnt.
    ...work permit granted!
  • uktyler
    uktyler Posts: 872 Forumite
    Options
    I would contact the repairers and expect them to put it right. You may not get a new seat, but the old one should at least be recovered, and the oil in the footwell cleaned. I would also take the car to another garage to have the repairs inspected.
    As goldspanners states they may have done more damage, or neglected to fully repair something more important.
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    being put back the way it was and a good valet and polish would seem fair to me
  • MaximumImpact
    Options
    you are correct,so how much compo do you want, £1000? that seems fair enough,plus the repairs obviously.

I think that replacing the car new for old would be reasonable compo, don;t you???
    '' A man who defends himself, has a fool for a client''
  • goldspanners
    Options
    I think that replacing the car new for old would be reasonable compo, don;t you???

yes, that sounds even better.
    ...work permit granted!
  • loofer
    loofer Posts: 562 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't be suprised if the garaged denied there carelessness and neglect.

How would one go about proving that it was them that damaged it? I suppose it's at that point that most would give up as it's not worth the hassle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure