supermarket fuel

Options
colin13
colin13 Posts: 1,007 Forumite
hi guys
got a new car and was wondering ,is branded fuel shell jet etc better than super market fuel,I have up to now tended to go for supermarketfuel because of the price
if I use branded fuel will I get more MPG than super market fuel,and is branded fuel better for the engine
ty for ur replies

Comments

• Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    There will be a difference of opinion on this one, some like me, will say there is no difference, it won't be better or worse for your car, and there is no difference in mpg. But I have to say I have only an opinion on the mpg aspect as I never fill up with branded stuff, can''t afford it! Certainly I've never experienced any engine problems that could be attributed to the supermarket fuel.

There will be people who swear they return better mpg using branded, but I have to say take that with a pinch of salt, unless they do proper controlled testing, they can't be sure.

If anyone wants to prove it one way or the other, a simple bench mounted lawnmower engine with an exact fuel tank capacity (say 250ml) repeated atleast 10 times (or more depending on the results obtained) for each fuel should be able to produce significant results if it is true.

P.S. If you want to look after your new car, best thing to do is change the oil every 5 - 9 thousand miles, or 6 months whichever is the earliest. If that's too much for you every 10 thousand or a year will be good enough.

Best time to change it? Probably about now - March, just after winter has finished.
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What car have you got? would make a difference in what fuel I would use.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Branded fuels have an additive pack added which contains detergents to help the car run cleaner and better. Supermarket fuels don't. There have been some issues in the letters pages on Honest John regarding gumming/coking in the engines using supermarket fuels. One of the good supermarket fuel is the Greenergy supplied 99 Octane super unleaded.

My advice: If you plan to keep the car just for the warranty period then use supermarket fuels. If you plan to keep it for longer then use a branded fuel.

I run both our private cars on Shell unleaded and my BMW company cat on supermarket fuel.
    The man without a signature.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Around us we can Shell at the same price as supermarket fuel so naturally I use that instead.

There are supposed to be more/better additives in branded fuel. Honestjohn would even go as far as saying most if not all engines will run better on the higher RON fuels (eg Super or V Power).

You pays your money and takes your chance.

I won't buy from Tesco becuase the blasted pump cuts out before I can fill my tank!! They tell me you only get 3 minutes to use it and it can't pump 70 litres in 3 mins.......argh.

If it was me and I was only keeping the car a few years I would go for the cheapest.

Edit:- Snap Viking :)
  • colin13
    colin13 Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Options
    MX5huggy wrote: »
    What car have you got? would make a difference in what fuel I would use.
    nissan qaahqai 1600 petrol
  • Robertf
    Robertf Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco fuel is no problem far as I can tell.
  • Mercenary
    Mercenary Posts: 627 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Shell is usually the same price as the supermarkets around here, so I get Shell fuel. Strangely, it's often even cheaper a few miles away, so sometimes it's worth a special trip.
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    ive always used supermaket fuel on my old xantia, it had moon miles on the clock and i never had one problem with it, not 1!

now i use shell as i get three p a litre off!
  • Fruity1
    Fruity1 Posts: 926 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The supermarket fuels have exactly the same additives and exactly the same amount of additive as all the regular fuels, esso etc. The exceptions are Sainsburys who have NO additives in and the Shell premium fuels which have more.
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In both our cars....Vectra & a Nissan 350Z...we usually use Tesco fuel. Will use Shell if they happen to be cheaper than Tesco at the time we need to fill up.
    Used to do the same with a Focus too and never had/have any problems with Tesco fuel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure