Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Spotted some droppings by the gas fire in the front room - have moved traps to there !!
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Spotted some droppings by the gas fire in the front room - have moved traps to there !!

My own top tip is to never touch the trap with your bare hands (not that most people would want to anyway). Mice don't like changes to their environment and are sensitive to human smells, so it can take a while for a new trap to work.... if you move them around with bare hands then it is effectively a case of starting all over again.

What did you plan to do with any you catch humanely? If it is put them in the garden then bear in mind you may be catching the same ones again next week :)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    stop feeding the cats, they will soon get rid of the mice
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    My own top tip is to never touch the trap with your bare hands (not that most people would want to anyway). Mice don't like changes to their environment and are sensitive to human smells, so it can take a while for a new trap to work.... if you move them around with bare hands then it is effectively a case of starting all over again.

What did you plan to do with any you catch humanely? If it is put them in the garden then bear in mind you may be catching the same ones again next week :)

It's rats that are neophobic, rather than mice.
    If OP catches a mouse humanely, they need to release it a few miles from their house.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Clairabella
    Options
    If you do manage to catch him in a humane trap, don't make the mistake I did of having a little peek at him. He jumped out in a flash and I had to start over!! :rotfl:

Another time we had trails of droppings and couldn't find any mice. I brought in the local council who were bemused with the trails as they were not in the usual places. They set bait and a while later I moved a sofa and picked up what I thought was one of my son's toys only to find it was a very dead bat!!:shocked:
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    Still no sign of him/her
    Is it true that mice can live on paper - ie) Enough energy to keep them alive ?
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    It's rats that are neophobic, rather than mice.
    If OP catches a mouse humanely, they need to release it a few miles from their house.
    If I do catch it - it is going over the fence to next doors garden !!
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    Mouse is stil running around somewhere in the house
    Spotted fresh droppings on window cill in hallway yesterday - 3 feet off the ground, with no way of climbing up there !!
    Set traps around the area - but none yet caught !
  • 50Twuncle
    edited 12 October 2017 at 10:44AM
    Options
    At last - mouse captured (after almost two weeks) and disposed of in the garden waste recyling bin (collected this morning) - so it will have the freedom to roam around the recyling site !!
    It was a largish grey mouse about 3 inches long + tail
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/33koxb6khnijecb/mouse%20workout.gif?dl=0
    mouse%20workout.gif?dl=0
  • clairacluck_2
    Options
    hi I moved into a council bungalow in feb. over the last few weeks I have heard movement in the loft and im guessing either rats or mice. we have fields and woodland over the back fence and get a lot of wildlife and a few rats that appear in the gardens. I managed to have a look in the loft hatch but there is so much insulation up there that is all over the place that I couldn't see much. problem is there are no boards up there and pipes and wires all over the place so I cant actually get up there. I did manage to spot a big wasp nest right on the other end of the loft but hoping its empty this time of year. my issue is because there are no boards up there to walk on will a pest controller go up there to investigate. looks like when council put the insulation down they literally threw it all over the place. any advice would be great, thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback