Cost of first Audi A3 service

Options
cs95aam
cs95aam Posts: 288 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi,

I've got a 2 year old A3 2.0 TDI, its only done 9,500 miles approximately and the service light has come on in the last few weeks.

I've called up a number of Audi garages and I've been quoted a range of prices from £250 - £360 VAT.

Funnily enough the closest garage to me is the most expensive and has justified its price by saying that "we're quoting the charge of a first service and perhaps the other garage is quoting only an oil and filter change".

I'm not the most knowledgeable person concerning cars however my understanding was that a "first service" would be just an oil and filter change and they would just check other things on a checklist. Not necessarily change them.

So is there a real difference between the "First Service" and "Oil and filter change" or am I just being told porkies to justify the huge difference?

The other thing I noticed was the price difference for cars that are older than 3 years. The Audi website here http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/owners_area/Servicing_with_Audi/pricing.html
lists the following prices:
There are no hidden charges, and wherever you are in the country you’ll now benefit from a fixed price for the following services:

• Major service - £199
• Interim service - £99
• Brake pads (Front or Rear) - £99
• Brake fluid change - £49
• Cambelt - £329

So really thats a more realistic price of a service also you consider that an older car would require a more expensive service. When I questioned one of the dealers about it she pretty much admitted that yes we overcharge owners with newer cars because they are more inclined to visit an Audi garage to preserve their warranty.

Anyway back to the basic question. How much have people paid at an Audi garage?

Thanks

Comments

• markelock
    markelock Posts: 1,735 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    you don't need to go to an audi garage to maintain the warranty if you don't want to.

prices don't look too bad from the website.

odd how the garage is prepared to put other audi dealers down though?
    Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl Bart? Why did I have the bowl?
  • cs95aam
    Options
    I suppose they're all in competition with eachother. The other thing I have realised is that garages in London are obviously more expensive than those outside.

I later got a quote from Epsom Audi and they are offering the service for £206 inc VAT. However, when I mentioned my delight at getting the cheapest quote so far she said that I'd also need a brake fluid service which would bump up the price to £279 inc VAT.

I wonder if I really need that. I'll check my manuals tonight.
  • Locknut
    Locknut Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    I have just had my A4 serviced 2.0td first service they did want £240 but I asked if they would price match and they did to £199 no quibble what so ever.

But they didnt change the Air filter and the car has done 18k :mad: it not due to be looked at again till nearly 40k too long IMO
  • mvteng
    mvteng Posts: 514 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Audi normally recommend brake fluid change every 2 years, so you need to do this to keep your warranty validated.

When you asked for quotes did you ask for a 2 year service, a first service, or a 9,500 mile service. This could explain the difference.

If you check in your manual it'll explain exactly what is required at each service interval.

I've made the mistake in the past of not asking if the price includes VAT or not. Could the cheapest price be without VAT?
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I paid £200 for a first variable service at 18,000 miles. Parts changed were oil, oil filter, sump plug and pollen filter.

Brake fluid is recommended at 2 years.

9,500 miles in two years is no good for a diesel either.
  • cs95aam
    Options
    mvteng wrote: »
    Audi normally recommend brake fluid change every 2 years, so you need to do this to keep your warranty validated.

When you asked for quotes did you ask for a 2 year service, a first service, or a 9,500 mile service. This could explain the difference.

If you check in your manual it'll explain exactly what is required at each service interval.

I've made the mistake in the past of not asking if the price includes VAT or not. Could the cheapest price be without VAT?

Well whenever I call I always say the service light has come on. I didnt ask for a particular type of service. You're right I should check that in the manual.

I made sure each price quoted was inclusive of VAT. Perhaps the cheapest garage may add on additional costs later on?
  • cs95aam
    Options
    I have just had my A4 serviced 2.0td first service they did want £240 but I asked if they would price match and they did to £199 no quibble what so ever.

But they didnt change the Air filter and the car has done 18k :mad: it not due to be looked at again till nearly 40k too long IMO

If you don't mind me asking where did you have it done and who did you price match with?
  • Locknut
    Locknut Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    I had it done at my local Audi dealer (Hull) and price matched from stafford Audi they have a full list of service prices on Ebay:beer:

Hull never asked what dealership I had the quote off.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport