BT Connection Charge

I recently requested BT connect my line. I was advised this would cost me the £122.33 connection charge. The line had been unused for 2 years, but there was no need for an engineer to call.

The same thing happened with my business line, line hadnt been operational for a few years, but no need for an engineer to call. I still get charged the £122.33 for connection.

I keep being told that work has to be done at the exchange that means there is a cost of £122.33. I want to know has anyone actually got a phone line in recently without having to pay the £122.33 connection charge. My feeling is BT are charging everyone. What work at the exchange costs £122.33? Can they levy a charge if the work that has to be carried out is mininal?

Just like to get some other people experience and advice here. thanks

Comments

• lou1251
    lou1251 Posts: 61 Forumite
    My neighbour has just had her line reconnected and didn't get charged. It has been out of use for around 6 years, an engineer did come out, but he only checked to see if the line was working.

I have another friend who called up last week to get his phone line reconnected. His line also has been out of use for a few years. They're charging him £30 for his phone line being reconnected.

Then he went on to say that they gave him a good deal on all this:
    Anytime call package,
    Unlimited broadband package
    AND full BT Vision including Setanta!!.

But, there's no good deal at all as he's being charged the full prices, after the first 3 months discounts.
  • Snakeeyes21
    Snakeeyes21 Posts: 2,527 Forumite
    have you actually been charged the £122 ?
    BT often state this just incase theres more work than a simple reconnection.
  • My friend was told she would be charged too, so went to the Post Office. Apparently they will connect you free, so check them out.
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." George Bernard Shaw:p
  • Greentea
    Greentea Posts: 495 Forumite
    have you actually been charged the £122 ?
    BT often state this just incase theres more work than a simple reconnection.

Yes they have sent me the bill. I didnt set up a DD, so i have to pay them by a certain date.

I phoned and complained and they told me, there may have been work done at the exxchange, but the engineer I spoke to said I shouldnt be charged. When I told BT they said he had no right to say tell me this. I cant cancel at this stage either. Not sure if there is anything I can do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure