Driving from London to South Wales - crossing Severn at rush hour?

Options
JimmyTheWig
JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
Hi,

Wondered if I could pick some local knowledge.
If I join the M4 from the M25 at about 7:20AM, I'm going to hit Bristol / River Severn at rush hour. Would this be a crazy thing to do? What's the traffic like getting into Wales?
Have never used the crossing, but I expect it might get quite busy.

The trouble is if I leave any later then I'll get stuck on M25. If I leave any earlier then I won't get enough sleep!

Any advantage to using the Severn Bridge or the Second Crossing (i.e. M48 or M4)?
Have also just seen the high cost of the toll. Any way to avoid this other than a 40 mile detour via Gloucester?

Thanks,
Jim

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You will get to the bridge about 9.30 so *should* miss main rush hour.

No difference using either crossing, new one will be quickest and no reason to detour.

No other way of getting across unless you fly or get a ferry reinstated!

The £5.40 to get across really annoys me and is a major reason I don't visit eg. Bristol more often.

The Gloucester detour is never going to be worth it, apart from the extra hour it takes the toll will always be similar to petrol it would cost.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Fran.
    I can't imagine, even if I asked nicely, that they'd reinstate the ferry in time. Nice suggestion, though!

It will be during the school Easter holidays which generally means less traffic. So fingers crossed.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The new bridge is very pretty though so get your moneysworth and drive slowly!! I always ask for a receipt so I feel I have got something for the money though of course that's rubbish! The receipt used to have half price coffee & cake (which I would never buy) at nearest service station (which I would never visit).
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport