G20 Summit - LondonTravel Advice for W/C 30.03.09

Options
Berni888
Berni888 Posts: 238 Forumite
First Post
First post, so hope this is in the relevant section.

Just some advice for those planning to head into London this week.

As you will have heard on the news the G20 summit will cause a number of disruptions in the capital for most of this week. For those of you travelling to meetings or to visit customers, please find below a summary of the current position as we know it. Please allow additional time if have to travel to the affected areas and ensure you have identification on you in case you are challenged.
G20Summit London – An update
Flashpoints are likely to begin on Wednesday 1 April, which campaigners have declared Financial Fools' Day. A demonstration will be held outside the Bank of England.
Camp for Climate Action is planning a 24-hour camp in the City of London. Further protests are planned the next day in Docklands outside the ExCeL centre, where the summit will take place.
Smaller actions are also scheduled around the Square Mile. Police will monitorevents on CCTV monitors at the police control centre in Lambeth, south London.
The police have advised bankers and lawyers to dress down to avoid being marked out as City workers, to leave their cars at home and use public transport, to cancel meetings and to forgo outdoor cigarette breaks.
Police admit that their security plans for the G20 Summit on Thursday and the protests the day before are likely to cause considerable disruption to Londoners throughout the week, with a spokesperson insisting: "We are trying to reduce the chaos it causes."
Security clampdown
London has been put on alert for the week ahead. Here is some of the advice that has been given to people who might be affected by protests against the G20 summit:
Bankers Work from home; dress down; cancel meetings; use public transport.
Security staff "Anticipate anything"; liaise with police.
Canning Town residents Strongly advised to carry two forms of ID; prepare for stop and search; don't use cars.
Emergency Services Will be disrupted; ambulance stations relocated; more police patrols; no GP home visits.
ExCeL conference centre No access; local businesses including shops and nurseries to be closed.
Rail Three Docklands Light Railway stations will be shut on Thursday.
Roads Roads near the summit and in central London to be closed; traffic diverted.
Shops Protest-training for staff; extra security; police guards.
Police Rest days cancelled; 37,000 officers on standby.
Airports Leaders arriving at airports and RAF bases; extra police patrols.

Comments

• littlewren
    littlewren Posts: 1,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My daughter and I had planned to go to the Ideal Home Show on Thursday and only realised over the weekend about the G20 demos.

I read from your post that the main day will be the 1st and that on the 2nd the demo will be at the Excel Centre in Docklands.

We are a bit concerned about going to London now on Thursday (my daughter more so). We are more worried about trouble on the underground on the 2nd and/or delays.

What would you do? Would you still go? We really wanted to go this week but don't want to if it's going to be risky on Thursday.

Any advice welcome please.
    Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!
  • Neil_B
    Neil_B Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Options
    honestly? Nope, I wouldn't go.

there is no gaurantee those restrictions will be lifted just one day later. i actually doubt they will!

just reading the above post and mentioning to a friend who phoned - half way through the conversation - what does he get - a security alert from his head office instructing him what to do with several special residential units he runs in the area. Talk about deja vu.

there are other frequent protests at excel anyway. Personaly IMO no one should be supporting excel because of the 'arms fair'. Let them rot.

Day after the current issue and first day of a new exhibition - asking for trouble IMV.
    I imagine any disruption will likely extend to transport networks citywide. Expect to arrive at a mainline station and find the tube, buses, dlr in chaos.
    -
    sorry to be the voice of doom.
  • littlewren
    Options
    Neil_B wrote: »
    honestly? Nope, I wouldn't go.

there is no gaurantee those restrictions will be lifted just one day later. i actually doubt they will!

just reading the above post and mentioning to a friend who phoned - half way through the conversation - what does he get - a security alert from his head office instructing him what to do with several special residential units he runs in the area. Talk about deja vu.

there are other frequent protests at excel anyway. Personaly IMO no one should be supporting excel because of the 'arms fair'. Let them rot.

Day after the current issue and first day of a new exhibition - asking for trouble IMV.
    I imagine any disruption will likely extend to transport networks citywide. Expect to arrive at a mainline station and find the tube, buses, dlr in chaos.
    -
    sorry to be the voice of doom.

But the underground stations that will be affected are over the other side aren't they - Moorgate, London Bridge, Liverpool Street & Cannon Street? And those demos are on the 1st. The Excel Centre (on the 2nd) is in East London too, on the other side of the underground map.

Don't you think that catching a tube from Kings Cross to Earl's Court (which is over the other side) would be OK? :(
  • Neil_B
    Neil_B Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Options
    Doh! Sorry about that. I've just fallen in! I presume you mean Ideal Home is at Earls Ct. I didn't think to check and assumed it was at Excel as well!

Oh far different situation then. I still think there may be citywide disruption but maybe ok to get to ECt.
    -
  • littlewren
    Options
    Oh no Neil, there's no way I would contemplate going if it was at Excel! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure