We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What to do in Zurich???

Hi

I am thinking of taking my mother to Zurich at the end of May for 5 days.

I've won two free flights and also we've got somewhere to stay with some relatives so not bothered about hotels.

But does anyone actually know whether it's worth going? What's there to do................... etc

Also someone told me that Switzerland is like REALLY expensive, that basically for 2 croissants and 2 coffess expect to pay £30!!! Surely that's an exaggeration. :confused:

Any tips on Switzerland - especially Zurich and the surrounding area would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 16,349 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Lucky you!

    I had an afternoon in Zurich, and enjoyed wandering around the old town with its many beautiful churches; admiring the views of the mountains and the lake, and of course window-shopping in the high-end shops around the main railway station. In the summer there will be a boat service on the lake as well.

    Average costs are going to be a little higher than in London, but quality will always be very high.
  • ScarletBea
    ScarletBea Posts: 2,921 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    It's a bit more expensive, but nothing like that hehe

    Zurich is lovely! In town you can walk around the old town, go to the park, the lake - just take a normal "public transport" boat, cheaper than tourist boats and you see the same, you can even get off at the smaller villages on the south side than come back later. Climb the Uetliberg, lovely for walks - hopefully end of May will have lovely weather.

    Then since you're there for more than just a weekend you can take the train to Schaffhausen or Neuhausen (about 45 minutes) and go visit the Rheinfalls, the widest waterfalls in Europe. Again, May is a great time to visit, because they'll be really quick after the melting of the winter snows.
    And Schaffhausen is a really nice small town to wonder around one afternoon.
    I lived there for 3 years, hehe
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
  • 123oleary
    123oleary Posts: 260 Forumite
    youll struggle to find a place more boring thn zurich. theres some nice scenery and some high end shops but thats about it. the locals arent exactly charming either.
  • ali1972
    ali1972 Posts: 599 Forumite
    I go walking in Switzerland most summers and I have to say I don't linger too long in Zurich itself - rather dull, espeically for 5 days worth. I would definitely advise travelling out on the train to see some scenery. The train system is second to none. As for prices of food and drink I find it similar to Central London prices, really.
    Yeah, whatever. I'm a grown up, I can take it...
  • Gosia
    Gosia Posts: 579 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    Hi ali1972

    Where would you recommend travelling by train to from Zurich?

    Also do you mean for a day trip or for a couple of days? I've heard from a friend that rail travel in Switzerland is the priciest - is that true?

    Many thanks again for everyone's advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.