Job loss due to outsoucing

Hi All,
I have recently been told that my department which is IT is at risk from being outsourced .
If IT is outsourced does this make me redundant ?
Will I be entitled to redundancy payment or will I just get canned ?
Should know by June ...

Cheers

Comments

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I guess this is where you start looking up the TUPE Regulations - try googling for the TUC website - they should have something on it re this.

I have the suspicion that TUPE is only enforceable for a very limited period of time - something stupid like 3 months or something I think? but someone else will confirm on this.
  • meat_n2_reg
    meat_n2_reg Posts: 285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Outsourcing company is Serco , any one had any dealing with them ?

Ta muchly
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Hi All,
    I have recently been told that my department which is IT is at risk from being outsourced .
    Should know by June ...

Cheers
    TUPE should apply - they should either transfer you or make you redundant - if there is an on-going need for your role - they should keep you.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £11.9K
    3) CC £3.7K on 0% spends card but offset by £34K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value @15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    ceridwen wrote: »
    I guess this is where you start looking up the TUPE Regulations - try googling for the TUC website - they should have something on it re this.

I have the suspicion that TUPE is only enforceable for a very limited period of time - something stupid like 3 months or something I think? but someone else will confirm on this.

You transfer on your existing terms and they stay in force till you agree to any changes.

They cannot just impose new T&C without you agreeing.

Allthough in practice employers can make changes just lke they can with any employee.

Make some favourable terms conditional on taking the less favourable ones,

eg: Want a pay rise or a promotion sign here.
  • Hi All,
    Should know by June ...

Cheers

Hi Meat... I know this was a few years ago, but would be interested to hear how things went?

Craig
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Given that he hasn't posted for 9 months don't be surprised if you don't hear anything. If you have a specific question you'd be better to start your own thread and ask it.
  • caeler
    caeler Posts: 2,605 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Serco are reputable but big. Plenty of experience in TUPE in and out so you can have some comfort. Ask your employers quickly if TUPE is going to apply, it isn't always that straight forward but I am sure your company and Serco are discussing this based on what services are being outsourced and if any employees are associated whilst they are agreeing the commercial agreement. Has your employer started any form of consultation with you? If you find yourself at risk, it suggests the work you do was outsourced and there might have been a TUPE right so thats a fairly big indicator, hopefully both company's will want to avoid the risk associated with that. Good luck in getting your answers.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Caeler, if you're responding to the OP that was 2 years ago and I'm sure will be done and dusted by now. You can't really reply to craigjones, who resurrected the thread, as we don't know what he wants to ask, if anything.
  • Outsourcing company is Serco , any one had any dealing with them ?

Ta muchly

Yep.

I work in IT as a developer. They provide hosting and infrastructure for one of our clients.

Some of their engineers have a very poor grasp of English, making telephone conversations difficult. They try and be proactive, but is can actually be counter productive, as they can ring support lines with bizarre requests that don't make any sense.

You pay for what you get.
  • Jarndyce
    Jarndyce Posts: 1,281 Forumite
    this is a 3 year old thread - please leave it alone!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure