replacing a staircase

Options
Hi
My Mum moved house around last Sept. Since then she has found that the staircase groans and squeaks really badly. She thought she would get used to it, but it is really driving her mad now.
She has asked for a quote for replacing the staircase, and was told 4k.
Please can someone tell me this is stupid!!!!! How much should it cost. It's just a normal straight staircase.
Thanks
L
What's he building in there???
Debt at highest £30,450 (Dec 05)
Debt at lowest £9, 113 (Jul 07)
How much did we over spend whilst on maternity leave :mad:

Comments

• ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A reasonably good carpenter should be able to cure that.
    What is usually the problem is the wedges that hold the treads and risers all in position are loose.

As long as they can get access to the under side of the stairs.

I am writing this from a desk under the stairs at the moment and can see the wedges on our stairs.

If it is just squeaking Talcum Powder sometimes works.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When we converted our loft we got a joinery company to make a staircase (normal width and depth). They made it for £400. My father in law put it together (we decided this was easier than him cutting it all out) and he fitted it. I'm not sure how much labour would cost but it took him less than 2 days to put it together and fit it.

I think £4k is a lot. I'd get a few quotes and see how much it would cost to fix first.
  • Feej_2
    Feej_2 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Lydia
    Have just paid a small joinery company 675 quid (no pound sign on this keyboard!) for a new 13 tread staircase for self-build project. Has triple box winder at bottom and half landing at top & has MDF treads, plywood risers & pine stringers. Would be more if it was all wood but is a v good job. Somerset prices though - depends where you are.

Sounds like a potential ripoff situation. Definitely worth an hour or two with a hammer and wedges first. It's not rocket science, and B&Q sell packs of plastic wedges in various thicknesses for a few quid. If squeaking is around old nails, you could always try crosshead screws in holes instead.

Feej
    £2 saving: 2.5 cm in the bottom of a 500ml sprite bottle - not counting but might weigh from time to time...
  • Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A basic straight flight MDF/Softwood staircase can cost between 400 and 900 quid depending on finish and bannister detail, a Carpenter would take a day to fit allow 200 quid for that.

If I were you I would get a Carpenter to look at the underneath of the stairs, and ask him to do what ariba10 suggests, allow 200 quid maximun for that.
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Options
    The Last staircase I made was made of European Oak,Kite winders at the bottom, bespoke handrails,Turned Ballusters,newel caps and that was £4k fitted.For a bog standard straight flight with handrails ,newels and ballusters you should easily get one fitted for around £1k...(Softwood strings,ballusters,newels,MDF treads and Ply risers).

I would get a decent carpenter in to see if he/she can tighten it up...
  • oz0707
    oz0707 Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    60 per tread plus fitting. pine strings mdf risers and treads. balustrading/handrails/spindles extra.

Could pay someone 200 to fix but if its knackered is it cost effective?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure