Help: Dodgy buyer?

Options
Hi MSErs. Not sure where to post this as it’s not officially an auction. I have posted an advert on LOOT selling my saxophone and have since received an email from an interested buyer who is er …a little too keen in my opinion. Please could you read it and give me your opinions on what to do next.

“" Hello Dear , I got ur contact through ur website and am highly interested in buying your Amati Kraslice alto, £385.00 and i have seen the price is ok bye me. i am dealer in {Germany} and i will be responsible for the shipment without giving you any strees and i will like this transaction to be fast.so about payment i have prepare a {CASHIER'S CHECK }for you in UK) fund ,so pls email me back so that we can conclude about it. and i will like you to feed me out of this i.e ur personell phone num and ur adress and ur email so that i can forward it to my client in {UK} ,coz he is willing to send you check ASAP....... pls reply back REGARDS ******”
(Name omitted for privacy.)

Q. Can a cashier’s check still be cancelled even when the funds have ‘cleared’?

If so, what payment should I insist upon so that once the money has been transferred it STAYS PUT in my account and they can’t do anything dodgy?

Thank you for reading this post. Any help would be appreciated.

Silver

P.S. Board guides feel free to move this post if it's in the wrong place. I just thought it might be of interest for people selling on LOOT.

Comments

• rdwarr
    rdwarr Posts: 6,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry, just looks like a variation on one of the eBay scams to me. I'd just pretend the Email never came.
    Can I help?
  • pug_in_a_bed
    Options
    Stop!! Don't do it!!
    people in one country, wanting you to send to another and so on and so on...steer well clear.
  • the_tired_one
    Options
    Silver.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE IGNORE IT!

You will be shocked to hear the billion different ways in which people are trying to scam us; obtain our personal details via innocuous transactions.

Like the user above says - pretend you ever saw that email!

Better to not sell than to get embroilled in a transaction that will never happen

I now adopt a very cynical policy towards even legitamate seller-until payment is received in hand/bank - I dont trust them.
  • zorber
    zorber Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes its a scam.
    The money will arrive from a stolen account once the owner realises and informs the bank even if the payment has cleared because fraud has occured the moneys will be claimed back to the original account, so you will end up out of pocket.
    Tell them to send cash or postal orders only if you wish to try and temp them but the more than likely wont reply back.

:rolleyes:
    "Save the cheerleader - Save the world"
  • Silver_3
    Silver_3 Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    I've decided to ignore the email from all the advice on the previous posts.

I like the bit "i will like you to feed me". What with, dogfood? :rotfl:

Thanks,

Silver
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills